Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Fstab: smbfs on boot not mounting share, but "mount -a" still works.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Fstab: smbfs on boot not mounting share, but "mount -a" still works.

Basically I'm trying to use fstab to automatically mount a smb share on my NAS at boot. I've already made the folder for it (media/lg-nas) and have successfully had this configured in past installations of Kubuntu, however for some reason this time around it doesn't want to work.

It's simply not mounting the share. What was confusing me however is that running
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    still works; the share will then be mounted and all will be fine.

If it helps the share requires no credentials for rw access. My fstab line is as follows:
    Code:
    //192.168.1.5/Volume  /media/lg-nas/  smbfs  rw,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000  0  0
    Cheers for any help; not the end of the world running mount -a after each boot, but would rather not having to.
    Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz, Giel Black Dragon RAM @ 4.0GB, XFX GTS 250 @ 512MB, Sherwood R-925RDS A/V Receiver, Eltax Monitor 2 Stereo Speakers, LG LH3000 @ 32", Kubuntu 10.10 x64, Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

Re: Fstab: smbfs on boot not mounting share, but "mount -a" still works.

Thinking out loud here, so please bear with me if I screw this all up

You're asking for an SMB mount and you're not providing login credentials. Are you coming in through a guest account on the NAS? I *think* fstab is read before samba starts, so if your user information is in smb.conf maybe it's not being read?

Worst case you could mount the thing in /etc/rc.local but I think it may be a lack of authentication to the NAS that's causing your issues. Have you looked at the logs on the NAS to see if it's denying access - or even seeing the request? What about logs on the client machine?

Also, what OS is your NAS running? if it's Linux it might be easier to use NFS rather than run samba on both machines if all you want to do is mount network shares

we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

I'm not entirely clued up on the world on networking to be honest. It's a retail LG device; based on Linux somewhere down the line, but my access to it is limited to its http interface. The only options it gives me for network shares are AFP (Obviously no good here), Webdav (again not what I'm after), FTP (Perhaps, but I can't help but think there'd be more issues there), and what they so nicely name "Windows" (so samba).

Well as far as I've set the NAS it shouldn't ask for credentials, but still provide rw access to that specific share; so I can only assume that it would be a guest account of sorts, although that wording isn't explicitly used when configuring the device.

To be honest there is an account I could use to access the NAS; just it shouldn't have to be used if you get my drift.
      Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz, Giel Black Dragon RAM @ 4.0GB, XFX GTS 250 @ 512MB, Sherwood R-925RDS A/V Receiver, Eltax Monitor 2 Stereo Speakers, LG LH3000 @ 32", Kubuntu 10.10 x64, Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

Comment

I think I've managed to get it working. I swapped over to cifs, and adding the noperm option Not sure exactly which one did it, but while researching I read a couple of times that apparently smbfs is not recommended and cifs is pretty much replacing it.

But yeah, cheers for your help mate! Much appreciated!

Comment

Okay - fstab's read before networking starts, hence the share is not available. mount -a rereads fstab and then the mount works correctly. Here lies the problem, I think

edit: You got it, but it was the cifs thing.

cheers -
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
          X