Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<SOLVED> alternative to manual (command line) setup of repositories list?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<SOLVED> alternative to manual (command line) setup of repositories list?

I'm reloading one of the several KB 10.10 systems I maintain. I do NOT want to manually update/modify my repositories list so that it is congruent with my other three boxes. I think and hope that I can merely do this and I will have restored the list to what it was before I blew up the....oh, never mind...

Copy from one of my working installs, to my restored install, these two files:

1. /etc/apt/sources.list
    2./etc/apt/sources.list.d

However, I've found no documentation on how to do what I'm trying to do, and I'm not wanting cripple my package management on the restored system.

So, can anyone give me some assurance that I actually understand what I'm doing, OR tell me what additional steps I might need to take?

Thanks, in advance.

UPDATE --

Doing the obvious and setting up an experiment, have just copied from my /etc/apt/ dir of a extant functioning KB 10.10 install to my newly restored KB 10.10 install, these files:

sources.list
    sources.list.d
    sources.list.distUpgrade
    trusted.gpg

#2 is a dir, of course. #4 is a file that I believe will only exist if certain Google-produced programs (such as Google Earth) are installed, but this is a bit of a wild guess - the point is that it won't necessarily be in the /etc/apt/ dir.

I then launched Synaptic, reloaded the packages lists, and did some now-available updates. All has gone exactly as I desired, so far.

I'd still like to know if anyone see an omission from my procedure which might bite me farther down the road.

Re: alternative to manual (command line) setup of repositories list?

From /etc/apt you would want to copy the sources.list (as you did). If you have other repository lists in the sources.list.d directory, and you want to use them as well on the other PCs, you would copy those as well.

What you did is fine.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: alternative to manual (command line) setup of repositories list?

Thanks for the reassurance. I did feel rather confident about it, but I also don't think I'm nearly as well-informed about Kubuntu Linux as I'd like to be. Over time, my confidence IS growing, though, and I'm grateful for the slow progress.

Comment

Working...
      X