This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No login screen after reboot.

I'm stumped as to how to go about trying to fix this. I had a working system, but then I rebooted and I get no login screen at all. After the boot up process, I see a very quick flash as the text-based login prompt comes up, then I get a black screen with a cursor on it.

I tried booting up with the install DVD and rename the Xorg.conf file, but that doesn't seem to help at all.

I booted in recovery mode, but once I got to the menu and started moving the selection around to decide what to pick, it quickly went to a totally white screen. Selecting the root shell option takes me to a totally black screen with a frozen cursor.

What in the heck have I done? Any help?
    I come from a Fedora background. So, I'm not very familiar with the Debian boot process.

Thanks,
    Dave

Re: No login screen after reboot.

When it's booted to the black screen with a cursor, try Alt-F1, and if nothing happens, try Ctrl-Alt-F1. Do you get a console login?

Comment

Re: No login screen after reboot.

Well, I don't know what the deal is, but some kind of magic happened when I started the machine up to try your suggestion. The X system started and I got a normal login screen. Took some doing to get the nvidia driver reloaded, but it's all good now. Just weird!

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to keep those keystrokes in mind for the future.

Comment

Working...
      X