X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]Kubuntu hangs: cannot get to "Password" screen

Hi guys!

I have got a Dell inspiron 1520, dual booting Windows Vista and Kubuntu. Yesterday night I upgraded from Kubuntu 10.04 to Kubuntu 10.10 and all went well except that when it was time to restart the computer, I couldn't get to the "password" info screen: it just hung up after entering the GRUB (GNU GRUB version 1.98 + 20100804-5ubuntu3).
    It was late in the night so I went to bed hoping for the best the next day. This morning I open the computer, and after entering the GRUB I get this info:

fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
    /dev/sda6: clean, 507806/4751360 files, 9846474/18974765 blocks
    *Starting AppArmor profiles Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bin.firefox
    [OK]
    [OK]

*Setting sensors limits
    /etc/rcS/S50 jove: 36:/usr/lib/jove/recover: not found

I appreciate your help.

[SOLVED] Kubuntu hangs: cannot get to "Password" screen

Now everything is fine.

Well, before upgrading I was having problem to upgrade: there was a message saying that Kubuntu cannot upgrade. So I used Google and found that may be I should do this first:

sudo apt-get autoremove xserver-xorg

I did it and the upgrading went fine except that when restarting the computer, there was that problem described in the previous post. I thought hard and remembered that may be the problem is caused by what I did before upgrading. That is why I chose to start the computer in the Recovery mode in order to access the Command window. There, I did this:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg

The problem is solved!!

Comment

Working...
    X