This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{SOLVED}Kubuntu dual-boot not working

I've got an HP Pavilion DV6, dual-booting Windows 7 and Kubuntu - all of about 1 week old!
    I installed Kubuntu yesterday and the install went smooth . . . until this morning.
    I opted for the Kubuntu boot and got this message:
    "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. choose your language setting, and then click next.
    3. Click repair your computer.

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
    File: \ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr
    Info: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Here's what I've done so far:
    1) As for \ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr - that is not existent.
    2) I've tried the repair disc, but still nothing. Restoring doesn't work either.

Uninstalling Kubuntu via Control panel is also useless as I get this message:
    An error occured:
    error executing command
    >>command=C:\Windows\sysnative\bcdedit.exe/delete {71c6954c-6329-11df-a96a-bab86231e7}/f
    >>retval=1
    >>stderr=An error occurred while attempting to delete the specific entry.
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    >>stdout=
    For more information, please see the log file:
    and then it gives me the path to the log file. After enabling hidden folders, I managed to find the folder, but again no such file. I searched for the log file, but nothing.

Trying to reinstall doesn't help either as it tries to uninstall the previous installation.

Anyone with advice for me? I'd really like Kubuntu up and running again. Don't really like Windows, but keep it for the odd occassion when my son has computer work to do for learning. And I really miss my Kubuntu

Re: Kubuntu dual-boot not working

This is a Wubi install (installed from within windows and using Windows' boot loader)? I am not familiar with that or how it works.

which version of Kubuntu have you installed?
    there is a major issue right now with some standard updates that seem be be breaking Wubi installs.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198
    the first link also has tons of useful info on wubi in general

Comment

Originally posted by snowflake_nz
      I've got an HP Pavilion DV6, dual-booting Windows 7 and Kubuntu - all of about 1 week old!
      I installed Kubuntu yesterday and the install went smooth . . . until this morning.
      I'm guessing that you installed Kubuntu using wubi.exe.

I opted for the Kubuntu boot and got this message:
      "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
      1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
      2. choose your language setting, and then click next.
      3. Click repair your computer.

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
      File: \ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr
      Info: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.
      After the initial install yesterday, and before you shut down for the night, did an update come down, and if it did, did it include a kernel & header update?

Here's what I've done so far:
      1) As for \ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr - that is not existent.
      2) I've tried the repair disc, but still nothing. Restoring doesn't work either.
      Repair disk? Windows? Kubuntu LiveCD?

Uninstalling Kubuntu via Control panel is also useless as I get this message:
      So, you can boot into the Windows partition?

An error occured:
      error executing command
      >>command=C:\Windows\sysnative\bcdedit.exe/delete {71c6954c-6329-11df-a96a-bab86231e7}/f
      >>retval=1
      >>stderr=An error occurred while attempting to delete the specific entry.
      The system cannot find the file specified.
      >>stdout=
      For more information, please see the log file:
      and then it gives me the path to the log file. After enabling hidden folders, I managed to find the folder, but again no such file. I searched for the log file, but nothing.

Trying to reinstall doesn't help either as it tries to uninstall the previous installation.

Anyone with advice for me? I'd really like Kubuntu up and running again. Don't really like Windows, but keep it for the odd occassion when my son has computer work to do for learning. And I really miss my Kubuntu
      First, it has been MY experience that when a wubi installation has a kernel update and the "update-grub" command is run the result is what you've experienced too.

Second, Win7 has an option that bypasses the Win7 boot menu, which Kubuntu activates and modifies, and boots directly into Win7.

Here is some Boot Configuration Data Editor (BCDEdit.exe) info:
      http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/net...itor-tool/1709
      http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r217...ting-questions

If using the command prompt to "Run as Administrator" bcdedit.exe ("Open the Start menu, select All Programs, and then choose Accessories. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator ") doesn't work then you will have to "Recover system settings on your computer", which is on the "Backup and Restore" panel.

BTW, did you create a System Image and System Repair Disk right after you activated Win7?

Once you get bcdedit.exe restored I'd recommend doing a defrag on the HD, then a chkdsk, then make the System Image and System Repair Disk.

Also, if you haven't done it, install Microsoft's security essentials. It's free, it doesn't nag, and it automatically updates the dat vaccine file. It's as good or better than the $$$ subscription products. You'll have to remove the Norton and Semantec nagware stuff, so download MS SE from here, http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/, and after you download it, unplug or turn off your internet connection, use the control panel to remove the nagware, then install MS security essentials. Reconnect the internet and immediately choose the update option to update the vaccine file.

Because a kernel update seems to mess up a wubi boot menu, the next time you install using wubi you should pin the Linux kernel and header so they aren't updated. This, however, can be a problem if a subsequent library or app update requires a feature in the new kernel in order to work properly. So... I recommend using a true dual boot mode where the HD is divided or partitioned. A kernel update or execution of update-grub doesn't damage the boot loader.

First, defrag.
      You can use http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...frag/download/ to defrag your HD

Second, partition.
      The easiest and safest is to use Win7's tools to shrink the partition. It will allow you to shrink the Win7 side to about 50% of the HD, assuming the the MFT file isn't setting at the far end of the HD. Then, when you run the LiveCD install and come to the partition option, choose the option which creates a kubuntu partition on the second half of the drive. If you want to resize the partition so that win7 has less than about half you'll have to use GParted. You can install it while running the LiveCD.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi GreyGeek
        you've rescued me yet again. I am now able to boot successfully again.
        I've managed to get Kubuntu uninstalled and installed again without a problem and now I can use my laptop again!!!

Thanks for that.
        I've been using MS Security essentials for a while now & it seems good.
        I've partitioned successfully - being my first time partitioning in Windows!

Once again thank you a million times

Comment

Re: {SOLVED}Kubuntu dual-boot not working

That's what we're here for!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: {SOLVED}Kubuntu dual-boot not working

Hi there

my computer-heros LOL.
            I don't even try to ask the computer technicians around town. I'd rather wait for a solution on the fourms.
            You guys are the best

Comment

Working...
            X