This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to 4.6 RC (from beta 2) won't boot

I just updated from 4.6 beta 2 to the RC and now my system doesn't boot. It halts at checking battery status which says "[OK]" and won't go any further. Any ideas on what the problem might be or how to fix it?

UPDATE: I noticed that kdebase-workspace-bin wasn't installed and wouldn't install due to broken dependencies. I dropped into a shell with networking and installed aptitude and got kdebase-workspace-bin to install and I'm not typing this from my system, but I'm missing all sorts of stuff like kpackagekit and konsole! I'll try to install these from shell again, but DAMN, what's up with these latest 4.6 updates from Kubuntu? And why do I keep trying them out?!

Re: Update to 4.6 RC (from beta 2) won't boot

Did you try it without the "quiet splash" options, so you can see all the boot messages? It might be running fsck in the background. If that is the case, you could boot a Live CD, run fsck on your OS filesystem, then boot your system normally and it should boot all the way.

Comment

The problem is that during the update most kde base components were removed and not updated due to broken packages. I had to force install them via aptitude (wouldn't work with apt-get) from a shell with networking. After kdebase-workspace-bin was installed, I could at least get into KDE but I had to drop back to a shell again to install some missing things like kpackagekit and konsole. Now everything's back to normal.

I wonder if these broken packages are caused by having proposed and unsupported updates enabled with the backports repo enabled too. Similar issues have happened to me with every 4.6 update (so beta 1, beta 2 and now the RC).

Comment

I did the same mistake - jumping on the new release too fast. This is a known problem and it has apparently been fixed already.

BUT - for us that were too quick, there is a way to get a more or less working system back:

Code:
        sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
        It does not fix all, but at least you should be able to get back online and from there you might have to re-install several things.
        Regards,
        Oceanwatcher
        Blog: http://www.wisnaes.com/
        Pictures: http://www.oceanwatcher.com/
        Software tips (in Norwegian): http://www.datahverdag.com/

Comment

I have the exact same problem, but I only have a wireless connection.
          How can I execute the sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop command?

Is there another way?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by larbac
            I have the exact same problem, but I only have a wireless connection.
            How can I execute the sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop command?

Is there another way?

Thanks
            Hi

No hints on this one??

Comment

Working...
            X