This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maverick (64-bit) frequent crashes, freezes

I've been experiencing frequent and seemingly random freezes/crashes. The computer becomes totally unresponsive...no keyboard or mouse input seems to have any effect. Ctr + Alt + Backspace to restart the X-server (which I have enabled, and which normally works) does nothing. Neither does Ctr or Alt + F-key combinations, or Ctr + Alt + Delete, nor does randomly mashing keys together. So I simply hold down the power button and then turn it back on.

I think this started happening after the recent kernel upgrade to 2.6.35-24, but it still happened after I switched back to the previous kernel.

It seems to happen shortly after logging in, or after leaving my computer unattended for a while. It often happens while I'm watching a YouTube video, in which case I hear the last second or two of audio repeating endlessly like a skipping record. I think this has happened on both of my laptops, which are both running Kubuntu Maverick 64-bit.

Power management maybe? I found a post that suggested that pm-utils might be responsible, so I tried uninstalling it, but that didn't help.

How do I go about troubleshooting this kind of issue? Are there log files I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Re: Maverick (64-bit) frequent crashes, freezes

I am also running Maverick 64 bit having the same problem. I found a fix on the forums that seems to have helped, although I had the same problem again this a.m. and went back to the forums which is why I found your post. There seems to be a consensus that this is due to power management. To disable acpi and apm power management you can turn it off in your boot manager. I use burg, but assume you use grub. For grub, go to /etc/default/grub and alter the following line to include noacpi noapm", like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash noacpi noapm"

Next time you reboot it should be without acpi and apm.

Again, this has helped, but may not be the whole solution.

Also see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    This is a page on all the boot options you can pass to the kernel.

Also see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...78787&page=119
    This similar fix seems to be undocumented as far as I can tell? I may try it if I get to crashing again.

All the best.

Comment

Working...
    X