This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop effects problems in Virtualbox

I'm having problems activating Desktop Effects in Virtualbox e.g. Desktop Cube - Kwin reports they are not activated.

So it's Kubuntu 10.10 32 bit, updated to latest patches, running in Virtualbox 3.2.12 r68302, 128Mb Vram & 3D acceleration selected

Guest additions installed by .... sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-guest-x11

After guest additions installed - screen resolution goes to 1920 x 1095 - so some effect from guest additions

But when trying to enable Desktop effects - cube and wobbly windows etc won't activate

I have tried the same process with Ubuntu 10.10 on same machine and same version of Virtualbox - in that Virtual machine cube etc work fine. Any ideas on a solution?

Re: Desktop effects problems in Virtualbox

In Virtualbox have you increased the amount of memory that is allocated to the display? And are both boxes checked for 2D and 3D acceleration? Settings>Display. I'm running XP Pro in VB, so I can't really test to see if this will help you with the problem.

Comment

Memory to display and 3D - yes - above I stated that it's 128Mb (the max) and 3D ticked.

2D - no - as it is supported by Windows guests only

The same formula for enabling Desktop Cube etc that I'm using in Kubuntu virtual machine works fine in Ubuntu 10.10

I also tried a reinstall of guest additions suing the installer in Virtualbox - no improvement.

Comment

That's the only suggestion I had. I'm using the VB version from the Oracle site. It's probably a little more up to date than the one in the repositories.
        http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Comment

Yes - also using the VB site latest version

I've just been told on Virtualbox forum that KDE and compositing on VBox just doesn't work ! Drat ....

And to use Emerald as a DTM

So solved but but not happily ....

Comment

With VMware Player, it looks like you can get "semi" desktop effects. I set virtual desktop to 4, and then enabled desktop effects. The "cube" does not actually work. But, the mouse wheel does switch between the 4 virtual desktops, which is all I really care about. kwin decorator appears to work correctly.

"lspci" shows:

Code:
            00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller: VMware SVGA II Adapter
            so, that's what you get.

Comment

Working...
            X