X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu 10.10 crashes / logs out every 2-10 min

Originally posted by bugmenot
    And a current one from today is attached too now.
    Nothing obvious there, is there something of interest before:
    X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
    in ~/.xsession-errors?
    Originally posted by bugmenot
    @kubicle
    I have to click around.. otherwise it wont crash.

But its not a specific program.. even with firefox only it crashes.
    Sounds like a video driver/configuration issue, but I can't say for sure (as there are not that many leads to follow)

EDIT: It might help if you can figure out any kind of pattern to it (it happens when I click a button / open a menu / maximize a window etc.)

Comment

Ok... here are some more Log-Files..

KSystemLog
      Attached Files

Comment

xsession-errors

It will be difficult to find a kind of pattern for this..
        Attached Files

Comment

Can anyone plz help me with this issue? It still crashes the GUI..

Comment

OK, we still don't know what your CPU or GPU is, nor video driver, so that's all a mystery.

Your .xsession-errors file is over 1,000 lines, probably 80% are errors. Some from akonadi, others from kwin, and elsewhere. Hard to tell which one is the X-killer.

Can you boot a Kubuntu 10.10 Live CD, and run it for an hour? It would be helpful, as a beginning, to know whether there is some fundamental problem with running the OS on your hardware platform, as opposed to things that have happened before or during the upgrade process.

Comment

I've an ASRock Core 100HT (http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overvie...ore%20100HT-BD) and a Sony VAIO Z11. As I mentioned before.. on both version 10.10 isn't working correctly.

Ok.. will download and let run the LIVE CD.. would be great anyway if I don't have to reinstall the whole system..

Is there a way I can backup all my program settings, ... and restore them into a fresh installation of Kubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by john.doe

Is there a way I can backup all my program settings, ... and restore them into a fresh installation of Kubuntu?
                Unfortunately all the settings are scattered among all the "dot" files in your home folder. .kde, .adobe, .alsaplayer, .nvidia, .gimp, .gnash, etc. etc. I'd say pick your 3 most important ...

Comment

ok.. with the Live CD I can click around without crashing X.. seems I really have to reinstall the wh0le 5h!t aga!n..
                  may be one day they will release KDE updates without crashing the whole OS.. with XFCE and Gnome people never had problems like this.. but KDE looks better ^^

really annoying.. nxt time i'll wait another 2-3 months before upgrading.. 2 different computers same problem.. no.. not I'm the problem :P

Comment

Originally posted by john.doe
                    ok.. with the Live CD I can click around without crashing X.. seems I really have to reinstall the wh0le 5h!t aga!n..
                    may be one day they will release KDE updates without crashing the whole OS.. with XFCE and Gnome people never had problems like this.. but KDE looks better ^^

really annoying.. nxt time i'll wait another 2-3 months before upgrading.. 2 different computers same problem.. no.. not I'm the problem :P

Well, you can run a rolling release like arch or aptosid, and be done with such "upgrade" problems.

Or, you can leave a *buntu LTS version installed for 2 years or more, and live with the aging packages.

Or, you can reinstall *buntu every six months, from scratch.

Nice to have choices ...

Comment

Xubuntu did upgrade without problem.. must be something with KDE or kwin or whatever buggy crap is running..

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        Well, you can run a rolling release like arch or aptosid, and be done with such "upgrade" problems.
                        Evidently not:
                        https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=845112

Seems that this is triggered by unminimising windows when desktop effects are enabled and is most likely a Xorg 1.9 problem, although it could be in KDE 4.5.2 problem. Is anyone either:
                        a) Running KDE 4.5.2 with an xserver-xorg-core that is *not* version 1.9
                        b) Running xserver-xorg-core 1.9 with a KDE version *other than* 4.5.2?

If you are, please turn desktop effects on, minimise and unminimise some windows a few times and report back on if you get an x crash (where it looks like you're logging in again).

Note: I am getting this same error on a *fresh install* on a Dell Latitude XT running the FOSS ati driver. It appears to also happen with Catalyst and Intel drivers.

Possible duplicate bugs:
                        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1455746
                        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post10151783
                        https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=845112
                        Kubuntu Lover - The blog for Kubuntu lovers since 2008!

Comment

Just a thought ... you did run the "check cd" menu option to verify your burn before you installed, didn't you?
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I installed of a USB stick, so no "check cd". I guess I could use fsck on it, but given that a number of people seem to be having this same problem (more than the ones I posted), somehow I suspect the problem is elsewhere. Some people have had success downgrading the ATI driver, which is my next plan... (or upgrading to xorg-edgers...)
                            Kubuntu Lover - The blog for Kubuntu lovers since 2008!

Comment

fsck would only check the file system, not the files themselves. Did you iso pass the md5sum test? After you burned it you can test the burn using the menu option on the LiveCD to do so. It checks the md5sum listing of the files against the md5sum of the files on the CD. My observation is that most bad installs are because of bad downloads or bad burns.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I just did a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.10 on my Gateway netbook. Was previously running 10.04 without issues. I immediately started experiencing the log outs every few minutes. Turns out my problem was desktop effects. I disabled them and all is well now. I'd forgotten that I disabled them on my 10.04 installation.

Sorry for jumping in late ... Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
                                X