Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless Connection not working (doesn't seem to try to connect...)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Connection not working (doesn't seem to try to connect...)

I am not exactly sure where the problem is here but previously on my computer, wireless worked flawlessly.

However, I upgraded today from 10.04 to 10.10 and my wireless connection on my laptop seems to be broken. Now, I use whatever KDE network manager is there, and it has my proper connection information in it. It also can scan for networks and find my network - this tells me that my wireless card is working correctly. I have the block checked to automatically connect to this network, but this doesn't seem to actually make it connect to the network.

In previous installations, I had a little network status icon in the corner of the screen. This is gone now. I used to be able to click this and tell it to connect, disconnect to the network, etc. Can anyone tell me how to get this icon back?

Previously, I upgraded my desktop computer and it had no problem [also on wireless network] connecting to the network. I would still like to get this icon back. The only difference is that my home network is an open connection and this network that my laptop is unable to connect to is encrypted, but the information is correct. Help?

Re: Wireless Connection not working (doesn't seem to try to connect...)

To complicate this further...

On my home computer [my desktop], if I right click on the System Tray to find System Tray Settings, there is an option for Network Management that does give me a little wireless icon on the system tray.

Why wouldn't my laptop have this?

Comment

By chance were you using WICD in 10.04? Or were you using the default network-manager-kde?

Comment

Originally posted by chipbennett
        By chance were you using WICD in 10.04? Or were you using the default network-manager-kde?
        I used the default.

I brought my laptop home to check it out on my home network. My desktop automatically worked here, so I thought the laptop might as well...No such luck.

Now the install seemed to kind of hang, and I ended up trying to complete the installation from a CD and using dpkg. I am guessing that I missed something.

Comment

Just went through a did a reinstall. Turned out a TON of my libraries were missing and it seemed just easier to start with a clean slate. Didn't really fix the original problem, but that is OK.

Mods - feel free to delete this thread.

Comment

No need. Others will gain useful information.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X