X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Super ugly kubuntu-splash

Hey

Just made a clean install of Kubuntu 10.10. Everything seem to be working fine with one exception. The Kubuntu splash screen (not the kde-splash, the loading screen with the Kubuntu logo, don't remember what it's called right now) is super ugly. The resolution is something like 800x600 and the colors are bad.

Probably has something to do with the graphics driver since it takes some fiddling for me to get that right when installing. The problem is that the live cd doesn't work well with PCI-E graphic card, it just presents a bunch of jibberish and I can't do anything. This has been the case with live-cd since forever. I solve this by switching to the internal graphics on my motherboard during install. When install is complete, I switch back when rebooting, boot into a root-shell with networking enabled, install the proprietary nvidia graphics driver, run nvidia-xconfig and finally reboot into a working system.

So far this has worked without any trouble, but this time the aformentioned splash screen got butt-ugly. Grub is also not appearing at the right resolution. How do I fix this?

My system:
    Graphic: Nvidia 8500GT
    Motherboard: ASUS P5QPL-AM
    Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 Dual Core, 2.70Ghz

Re: Super ugly kubuntu-splash

I followed this on my 10.04 system and got a decent result. I haven't bothered with it on 10.10 yet (I don't spend much time looking at the boot screen).

Note: The command to update Grub2 is
    Code:
    sudo update-grub

Comment

Re: Super ugly kubuntu-splash

I actually found a much easier way on this forum that worked just fine: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/forums/...opic=3110848.0

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Super ugly kubuntu-splash

from link above remove
        Step 2: edit the /etc/grub.d/00_header file.

$ sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/00_header

And find the following line: “gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}” (it’s line 103 on my computer) and under it, paste this:

set gfxpayload=keep
        and in Step1 into /etc/default/grub add row GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
        Editing of scripts from Step 2 is not needed, because this new parameter is in that config file with newer Grub in Maverick.
        Kubuntu 12.04 64bit

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Super ugly kubuntu-splash

Thanks Poborskiii! I could not get the menu splash image to show after upgrading from Lucid to Maverick. Your suggestion solved it for me.

Comment

Working...
          X