This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Fixed/repaired/worked around] - No desktop

Upgraded to Maverick and all went smooth, then I upgraded to KDE 4.5.2 and I have no desktop (F2 still works )

Any suggestions?
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Re: No desktop

Alt+F2 and type konsole and in the console type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

APT-GET told me that I was already at the latest version. Renaming my .KDE directory gave me a desktop, just not my desktop. I cannot at the moment remember the name of the desktop applet config file but I think when I find that it may fix the problem, If the past is any indication.
      Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Renaming or deleting .kde is a big fault. KDE is working, probably is not working only plasma-desktop (after upgrade usually due to broken compatibility of third party plasmoids/plasma-widgets). Best solution is renaming only config files ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc and sometimes also ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc . If not working, try rename whole directory with config files ~/.kde/share/config
        Kubuntu 12.04 64bit

Comment

do you by chance have any non stock widgets on your desktop or panel (im thinking yawp , since it was causing my crash). if you do you can simply uninstall them and then plasma-desktop should start up . if thats not the case try running "plasma-desktop" from konsole. you might get some clues from the cli .
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Recovered "old" .kde from backup. Tried to overwrite new .kde but Dolphin crashed. Deleted .kde but KDE created a new one real time. Finally had to "write into" .kde after removing YAWP from my appletrc file and that mostly fixed the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X