X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade Kubuntu 10.04 to 10.10 crash

Hello guys,
    There is 2 days left ( right now is 08.10.2010 ), to kubuntu 10.10 release, we have rc for stable version in repo, so many of us want to upgrade them and have funn with new one. But's not so simple, I realy don't know how to solve this problem, but I can not upgrade my kubuntu to 10.10, here is 3 steps that I has make:

First one:

Second:

Third:

At first, what we can see in second and third image step, we see Ubuntu, not Kubuntu as well for upgrade, next is why upgrade have gtk theme? Something going wrong, and at last we have got error for upgrade it, and it fails.

There is also a bug submited at launchpad, here is a url: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/654705

If some one find any resault, please share (those one in comments in launchpad doesn't works as well).

Regards, cojack.

P.S. sory for my bad english.

Re: Upgrade Kubuntu 10.04 to 10.10 crash

It sure looks like Gnome/Ubuntu, doesn't it?

My personal choice for new versions is always to install from scratch, using an Alternate Install CD. There are always a lot of reports of broken systems following "full-upgrade" attempts, and I don't have time in my life to fiddle with a broken system.

I would suggest grabbing the Daily Build Alternate CD, and using that to install a clean system. Otherwise, if you like gambling ..... :P

Note that if it DOES install Ubuntu 10.10, all you need to do is open a terminal and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    Then you need to reboot and choose "KDE" at the login greeter.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      It sure looks like Gnome/Ubuntu, doesn't it?

My personal choice for new versions is always to install from scratch, using an Alternate Install CD. There are always a lot of reports of broken systems following "full-upgrade" attempts, and I don't have time in my life to fiddle with a broken system.

I would suggest grabbing the Daily Build Alternate CD, and using that to install a clean system. Otherwise, if you like gambling ..... :P

Note that if it DOES install Ubuntu 10.10, all you need to do is open a terminal and
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
      Then you need to reboot and choose "KDE" at the login greeter.
      That doesn't make sense, it's not a windows to install it from scratch having truble with upgrade. Linux it's not like windows, like:

Windows: Have problem? Reboot!
      Linux: Have problem? Be root!

This mean: If your car is out of gass, take out of them and sit again, they will have full, nonsens.

Comment

Originally posted by cojack

That doesn't make sense, it's not a windows to install it from scratch having truble with upgrade. Linux it's not like windows, like:

Windows: Have problem? Reboot!
        Linux: Have problem? Be root!

This mean: If your car is out of gass, take out of them and sit again, they will have full, nonsens.
        Well, that is the party line ...

Note, however, that I am presently running Kubuntu 10.10, and you are not. :-X

Comment

I think I found a ugly solution, how to upgrade with this error:

Login at some tty fe: tty4 ( alt + ctrl + f4 )

we'll stop xserver

Code:
          sudo service kdm stop
          and f*** him off :P

Code:
          sudo apt-get remove xorg --purge
          sudo apt-get remove xserver* --purge
          After that do

Code:
          do-release-upgrade -d
          Reboot, and you will be out of X server, so we have to install it again:

Code:
          sudo apt-get install xorg kdebase-workspace
          And startx or reboot for start it automaticly.

I have hope it'll be helpfull for some one.

Regards,
          cojack.

Comment

Working...
          X