This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WICD patch for IPv6

Has anyone tried to apply this patch to WICD?
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/wicd/+bug/692490

It looks really simple but I'm not l33t enough to apply this patch myself.

Code:
    --- wicd-1.7.0/wicd/misc.py	2010-12-12 03:54:41.000000000 +0800
    +++ wicd-1.7.0.patched/wicd/misc.py	2011-01-11 16:39:53.000000000 +0800
    @@ -151,7 +151,12 @@ def IsValidIP(ip):
             if not number.isdigit() or int(number) > 255:
               return False
           return ipNumbers
    -  return False
    +  import socket
    +  try:
    +    socket.inet_pton(socket.AF_INET6, ip)
    +  except (TypeError, socket.error):
    +    return False
    +  return True

def PromptToStartDaemon():
       """ Prompt the user to start the daemon """

Re: WICD patch for IPv6

That's a patch for Arch linux and I doubt it would work on Kubuntu.

But, if this article is true it doesn't matter because:
    IPv6 is still broken, or missing, in most vendors' consumer network gear

When it comes to IPv6 support, consumer home networking gear lags far behind other devices, like enterprise equipment and PC operating systems. Most devices certified as IPv6-compliant by the IPv6 Forum are full of implementation bugs, experts say.

LAGGING: Cisco routers still don't support IPv6
    A Cisco spokesperson confirmed, "Linksys routers being launched this spring will have IPv6 support -- also the E4200 we launched in January will have a firmware upgrade planned for April." However, Cisco isn't sure yet if routers bought prior to 2011 will get IPv6.
    Cisco routers include Linksys.
    DLink routers appear good if you bought one within the last 5 months.

There is another solution, though:
    Network professionals are comfortable with "rooting" their home networking gear and can always wipe out the vendor's firmware and install OpenWRT or DD-WRT.
    With the exception of SOME products by D-Link and Apple's AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme, none of today's CPE can operate using IPv6 well enough for a field test trial, Bulk says.
    You can COUNT on one thing, though. The wifi router vendors will take whatever steps they feel will maximize their profits, regardless of how it affects your current devices.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      That's a patch for Arch linux and I doubt it would work on Kubuntu.
      Doesn't look like an arch specific patch, at least to my eyes (haven't tried it though).

Originally posted by Teunis
      It looks really simple but I'm not l33t enough to apply this patch myself.
      diff patches can be applied with the 'patch' command (see 'man patch' for details), but you can also apply the changes manually (it's a small diff) by editing /usr/share/pyshared/wicd/misc.py (make a backup of it first):

The diff starts on line 151, so just replace the line marked with a minus (return False, line 154) with the lines marked with plusses (delete the plusses if you copy/paste lines).

Whether you use patch or manually edit the file, you'll need to restart wicd (not just the configuration GUI). And as GreyGeek mentioned, IPV6 could still be iffy even if the patch works as advertised...but there should be no harm in trying, you can restore the backup misc.py if you experience any issues.

Comment

Thanks Kubicle, I didn't see anything Arch specific in it so I'll try to follow your lead and once my IPv6 is enabled sometime this month I'll be prepared to test it.

GreyGeek, my ISP, xs4all.nl, issues Fritz!Box 7340 routers that are IPv6 enabled.
        They are a dressed down version of the Fritz!Box 7390 that is publicly available.

There have been teething problems with the firmware but after several updates quite a few people are now using them with success.

Comment

Working...
        X