This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solved - wicd Unable to obtain Ip Address

I am trying to get my wireless internet working on a laptop (hp dv1000) with built in wireless. I changed the wireless settings on the router to unsecure, thus no passwords.
    The connection shows up on the manager
    I can log onto the router when I have the wired internet plugged in.
    I don't know much about networks and such but I did setup one in windows using this computer and router with password and worked great.

Please help me get this working

Linksys router wrt54gc >

Re: wicd Unable to obtain Ip Address

Did you remove the default network manager and all it's pieces beforeafter installing wicd? The two do not play well together.

See this post by GreyGeek as to what to install wicd-wise, and what to remove after installing wicd.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, then after removing all of the network-manager stuff, restart your computer. Wicd will then work fine. I had the same problem on my laptop, exactly the same model as yours and it is working perfectly. The wireless in your computer uses a broadcom chip, which was a pain to set up when I first switced it to linux about three years ago. But the chips are now much better supported.

Comment

Worked like a charm thank you guys

Comment

Re: solved - wicd Unable to obtain Ip Address

Happy to assist. Welcome to KFN!
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X