X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN - C isn't working

Hey guys!
    I am trying to install a VPNC network in Kubuntu 10.10.
    I exctracted the files into my computer, and double clicked on install.sh (execute).
    Then, the following message shows up to me:

"The VPN Wiz was succesfully installed! Access the icon on 'Applications --> Intenet --> VPN Wiz'"

But there's nothing there.
    I also tried to run the command: # /usr/share/vpnwiz/VPNWiz
    In order to check if the VPN was installed but it is not. (It used to work in Ubuntu 10.10).
    Then, I tried to use KVPNc, and everything goes fine untill I am asked for my passwords: I enter my username, and my network password, but I am asked about another passoword (PSK - group password). I don't know what is this thing! I tried all the passwords I have (my system password and my network pasword) but none of them work.
    Can you guys help me, please?
    &quot;Our idols and demons will pursue us untill we learn to let them go.&quot;<br />~Madonna~

Re: VPN - C isn't working

The group password would be given by the network administrator. They create the .pcf files and usually they will throw in a text file with it, giving you the group password. Do you have any info like that?

Comment

You will not be able to connect without the group name and group password which is separate from your own credentials. Both sets of credentials are needed.
      Talk to your network admin.
      Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Hey guys! Thank you very much for your reply!
        No, I don't have any info about this "group" password...
        Why can't I connect just by installing the VPN as I described? Why the VPN isn't installing? Can I install it?
        &quot;Our idols and demons will pursue us untill we learn to let them go.&quot;<br />~Madonna~

Comment

I am using kvpnc just to let you know.

The group authentication is required for the profile setup.
          You cannot finish the wizard without a pcf file or manually entering the group credentials so the profile does not get created.
          Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

I am sorry, but I didn't understand..
            I do have the pcf file and I use it while configuring Kvpn, so why do I need this "Group password"? Do I need both? The password and the pcf file?

Comment

Sorry I was not clear.
              The pcf file has the group name in it but typically does not inlcude the group password (though i think it can).

So either you need a pcf that has both
              or a pcf and group password
              or a group name and group password
              Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

But it used to work in Ubuntu! I never needed this group password before!
                Can't I install it as I mentioned? (Double click on install.sh)
                Do I really need to use a program like Kvpn?

Comment

Well, it works best on Kubuntu. I wasn't able to get the Gnome version to work on Kubuntu. KVpnc asks for the group password and I'm not sure why. On Ubuntu it probably just took it straight from the .pcf file and used it. Anyway, your best bet is to try to open the .pcf file with Kate. See if you can see anything about the group password.

Comment

That's kind of a stupid question, but this "Group password" can be identified as GroupPwd?
                    I am asking that because what seems to be the "password" is a ***huge*** character!

Comment

See How to setup Cisco VPN using VPNC Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04)

While it was written for 9.04, it's likely still applicable for 10.10. Note, that vpnc is available from the standard repos, and you should use it.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

LOL Gael, OK it's probably encrypted. If you can't get the group password from your network admin, try what Snowhog posted. Cisco's client does work on Linux, but you'll need a walk through to get it set up.

Comment

Hey guy!
                          Thanks for posting!
                          I "solved" the problem with the group password, but now, when I try to connect I get the following message:
                          "Timeout while connecting to XXXXXX after 10s. Please check if the VPN server is reachable and the settings (UDP/TCP, local port, UDP encapsulation port) are correct. Maybe the timeout must be increased too."
                          Can anybody here tell me what that means and how can I solve it?
                          And I did tried what Snowhog said, but when I type:
                          wget http://www.debuntu.org/files/cisco-decrypt.c
                          It says that the address is not valid.
                          Any idea?

Comment

Working...
                          X