This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connect to hidden wireless network with knetworkmanager[good how-to]

So, I've noticed that quite a few people have difficulties with connecting the knetworkmanager to hidden wireless networks. Well, I've had that problem quite a lot, but I've found, what is hopefully, a good way to connect to the internet:

EDIT: June 01, 2011
    You need to know the interface that supports scanning. Usually, this is wlan0, though there are times when its not. To find all known interfaces, type:
    Code:
    ifconfig
    To list out all interfaces. In my case, the top interface was ethernet, the second one was wireless, even if it was named eth1. If need be, try all until you find the one that gives an output for your scan results.

First, you need to know the SSID of the network. You should know this though, since thats required to create new wireless connections.
    Second, you create the wireless network with all the proper connection settings in the 'wireless' section of 'manage' on the plasmoid/applet.
    Third, open up a Konsole, and punch in this code:
    EDIT: March 04, 2011
    Code:
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scan essid "name"
    "name" being the SSID of your network.
    Fourth, click on the network applet/plasmoid, and make sure that "see more" is clicked. Your hidden network should then show up, and you can click on it to connect to it.

I've tested this out so far on unsecured wireless networks. It should technically work with WPA/WPA2. If what I wrote doesn't work out, then my best bet is to scan your SSID like I stated previously, and once it comes up, THEN create the new network with the correct settings. That is a theory though. It may/may not work. If possible, can I have people test this out? If anybody has time/inclination to do it that is. Any testing would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading this, and I hope it helped those that needed it
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Re: Connect to hidden wireless network with knetworkmanager[good how-to]

"scan" isn't a parameter that iwconfig recognizes.

Perhaps you meant: sudo iwlist wlan0 scan essid "name" ?
    And, "name" can be just that. It doesn't have to be an actual essid, everything will show anyway.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      "scan" isn't a parameter that iwconfig recognizes.
      Holy cow, you just saved me a HUGE embarresment issue! I totally typed that in wrong, and didn't think about making sure I put it in right. I've done this so many times, and I beat myself up over it every time

I shall edit it so that people don't put it in wrong. I knew that it was iwlist, but I was using so many 'iw' 'if' and 'configs' and everything else that one command just sort of slipped its way into the other. I hope that it didn't cause anybody a system error

And once again, thank you for checking my mistake..trying to make something useful for a person Dx..
      Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

I totally typed that in wrong, and didn't think about making sure I put it in right.....
        Been there, done that ... too many times!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Once again, I thank you. Though, did my instructions pass the sensibility test? Like, are they somewhat/easily followed?

Comment

Your post was good. Allow me to suggest that you edit it to correct the typo on "scan" so that if someone searches later and reads it they will get the good message without reading the whole thread.

Comment

How do I do that exactly? What are you asking me to change?

Comment

Opps, my bad. You already changed it. Everything is good!

Comment

Oh! Your talking about in my code string. I changed it the moment you pointed the typo out :P

Comment

I've been struggling for days to get my HP Mini 110 netbook back online, and just tried your tip. My netbooks wireless access has worked fine in the recent past, then just stopped. Wired access is fine. Wireless through WinXP (I dual-boot) is fine. Kubuntu Maverick is not. Just won't see my network.

When I entered the console command you suggested, I got an error message: "wlan0 doesn't support scanning". Well, at least THAT's congruent with networkmanager's inability to see ANY hidden network...

I don't understand this, and cannot respond. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Tom,
                      Is that all it returned, or were there other devices listed?
                      Post the entire output of the iwlist command.

Comment

So, I've noticed that quite a few people have difficulties with connecting the knetworkmanager to hidden wireless networks. Well, I've had that problem quite a lot, but I've found, what is hopefully, a good way to connect to the internet:
                        It works ! Thanks so much !
                        Now I can get rid of nm-applet.

As said above, you don't need to specify the "name".
                        And if you configured your connection to be automatic, then the connection dialog pops up just after
                        the
                        Code:
                        sudo iwlist wlan0 scan essid "name"
                        command.

Great workaround !

Comment

@tomcloyd: I'm going to make an edit to it, but sometimes your card isn't referred to as 'wlan0'[though it helps if it is, mine this time around was named 'eth1]

So, if you type in
                          Code:
                          ifconfig
                          to find out which card supports wireless, in my case its the second from the top, try to scan it with that one. If it doesn't work, just try every interface until you find one that does work. If none work, you might need to install some proprietary drivers, possibly.

Comment

Working...
                          X