This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network storage

Hello everybody. I have a total of 3 computers in mt network. A desktop running WinXP/Ubuntu, My main desktop running Win7/Kubuntu and a laptop running Win7. I am almost ready to switch my main desktop over to Kubuntu only.What I want to do is setup a older desktop into a network storage server. Does anyone know of any articles or any references for step by step instructions how to build and configure from scratch? I have plenty of old computer parts, there is a small computer junkyard in my basement. Thanks

Re: Network storage

Hi,

there are some dedicated NAS distributions for embedded/ultra light systems. But the simplest thing would probably be to setup a regular Kubuntu system and use samba shares. You can test that right now with any of your machines, just go to System Settings ->Shares.

With a few clicks, you can decide what folders to share, whether it is read-only or read-write access, and also who has access. Sweet!

Comment

There are many possible solutions, but which one is right for you depends on your own needs.

As lmilano mentioned, SAMBA is one of the simplest. Linux hosted SAMBA servers are fully compatible with clients running Windows, Mac OS, and of course Linux with SAMBA client. Kubuntu comes with SAMBA client ready to go. Setting Up Samba.

There is also FreeNAS which is a kind of ready to go fileserver OS based on FreeBSD (a Unix-like operating system developed separately from Linux.)
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Ok thanks, When I get closer to the time to set this up this weekend I'll dig a little deeper and decide. Loading Kubuntu seems like it is the easiest thing to do.

Comment

Working...
        X