This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba 3.5.4 heartburn

I've now spent the better part of three weekends trying to get samba working.
    So I give up and it's time to ask... All references have been changed to protect the innocent.
    Network set up
    Meerkat 10.10 running on pc called Disney 192.168.0.250
    Meerkat 10.10 running on pc called SF 192.168.0.150
    (Both have xinetd installed as well as SWAT)
    Win Xp pro running on pc called Anaheim 192.168.0.50
    Printer wirelessly connected to router 192.168.0.180
    Router at 192.168.0.40
    All devices can ping any other device. No firewall issues.
    All devices can print to the printer. (Not surprising since it doesn't need to be shared as it is connected directly to the router)
    All should be part of windows workgroup FUN

Both Disney and SF are running Samba 3.5.4
    Disney has a ton of storage space I want to share with Anaheim and SF. After searching multiple sites with various versions of outdated help I managed to get the following:

Disney can see both SF and Anaheim
    SF can see Disney but not Anaheim and can't connect to any shares on either.
    Anaheim sees SF but not Disney and can connect to SF's shares after entering a user ID and password.

Disney has all users and passwords set for both Kubuntu and SMB. (Encrypted) Same for SF. User names are the same on ANAHEIM. Same passwords too.

Disney Dolphin folder operations
    If I launch Dolphin and click on NETWORK, I see three globes and a folder.
    Clicking on the network globe shows a blank folder
    Clicking on the Samba Shares globe shows a FUN globe. Clicking on it shows SF and ANAHEIM. Clicking on SF (which has a share set up called DATA) I get a log in prompt. Enter a valid user name and password and then nothing. (Blank folder)
    If I click on Anaheim I see all of the window shares. Some I can access just by clicking on the folder. Others ask for a username and password, but refuse any attempt to connect with what should be good names and passwords.

On SF Dolphin I get the same three globes and the folder.
    Clicking on the Network globe I get Two PC images, Disney and SF. If I click on either I just get two more globes with what look like MAC addresses and the info pane says they are workgroup managers. Clicking on either globe produces nothing.
    If I click on the Samba shares globe I see the network FUN. Clicking on it I see nothing.

On SF if I run smbclient -L //192.168.0.250, I'm asked for a password and then I get:
    Domain=[FUN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.4]

Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    IPC$ IPC IPC Service (DISNEY server - Set Stereo to CD Auto)
    Photos Disk Photos
    print$ Disk Printer Drivers
    Videos Disk Videos
    Transfer Disk Transfer Folder
    Music Disk Music
    user Disk Home directory of user

Server Comment
    --------- -------
    ANAHEIM Dell Optiplex GX 280
    DISNEY DISNEY server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    FUN ANAHEIM

If I run the same and change the IP to the SF machine
    smbclient -L //192.168.0.150 I get:
    tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
    Doesn't make any difference if I try adding -U and a valid user name

The SMB.CONF files on both Disney and SF are almost identical. (Basically the shares are different. The global settings are the same.)

If I try the same command from Disney I get the same log on failure.
    On ANAHEIM if I click on Network Neighborhood and then Windows network and then on FUN, I see ANAHEIM and SF. Clicking on SF prompts me for a log in. I enter my user ID and password and I get a list of shares which I can browse through.

So why can I connect from ANAHEIM to SF using my username and password, but I can't see what shares are on SF using the smbclient command?

What am I doing wrong?
    Why does this have to be so difficult?

Here's the global portion of the SMB.CONF file for SF:
    [global]
    workgroup = FUN
    server string = %h server SF
    map to guest = Bad User
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    unix password sync = Yes
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    dns proxy = No
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    valid users = user1, user2, user3
    admin users = user1

Here it is for Disney:
    [global]
    workgroup = FUN
    server string = %h server - Set Stereo to CD Auto
    map to guest = Bad User
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    unix password sync = Yes
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    dns proxy = No
    usershare allow guests = Yes
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    valid users = user1, user2, user3
    admin users = user1, user2

I'm lost.

Re: Samba 3.5.4 heartburn

No help, but since misery likes company I'll say that I've been fighting the same problem for the last several weeks.

I've unsuccessfully tried many of the numerous posts, but as you've experienced, the problem remains.

This seems to be a very common problem, I've reviewed the forum posts of Mint, PCLinux, and Fedora. Lots of posts, many good contributors offering suggestions, but no solutions. There seems to be some inherent problems. Evidenced by all these posts without a solution.

My next step is to load the TurnKey fileserver which I believe is based on Ubuntu and see how Samba is configured on that system. My assumption is that Samba works there, I hope.

If I do see any key differences in the setup I'll post them here on our Kubuntu forum.

Good thing this is a just a hobby......

CPS22

Comment

Working...
    X