This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin MobileBroadband2Go working with Ovation MC760on Kubuntu 10.10

. . . but I am still struggling to get it to work on Windows XP.

I have a small notebook with 10.10 as OS and Virgin Mobile Broadband access. I am also using for the first time in a long time the standard network manager for the OS and not my preferred Wicd.
    Reason:
    NM has a screen for broadband connections that lets you choose between GSM and CDMA networks.
    BB2Go is CDMA.
    Just double click NM, then Broadband tab, select one of the two above, enter password and username.
    I entered 'user' for both since this info is actually not required to originate the connection. Virgin Mobile asks for the user ID on the login screen.

Connection speeds in my local area are at about basic DSL and maybe a little above.

I also tried KPPP and Gnow-PPP to make the connection. Both gave me a hard time though Gnome-PPP auto-detected the modem right away.

One more hint: The MC760 modem shows up as a Novatel Wireless modem on a lsusb query. It is not only a modem but also emulates a CD drive and mass storage device in Windows. That feature has so far prevented me from installing it on XP. The modem must be activated in Windows before it works in Linux, they say. I doubt it but still had to use the assistance of the Virgin Mobile store to activate the modem and my account in order to get everything to work in Linux/Kubuntu.

Compared to Windows XP the Kubuntu installation was easy and without major problems.
    I really do not need the modem to work in Windows. Therefore, should anyone have trouble getting the Novatel MC760 modem to work with Linux, have your provider/retailer activate it for you on their Windows machine.

Then let Kubuntu 10.10 do the easy rest.

Working...
X