Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 1520 + Intel 4965AGN + Meekrat = going insane!! - SOLVED & THANKS

I've searched, I've Googled, I've installed things, I've un-installed things, I've reformatted, I've sworn.. I'm out of ideas

I'm a lot of a noob - so please be gentle

Dell Inspiron 1520 + Intel 4965AGN.

Some History: I've always had problems with this setup - the only way I could get it work in 10.4 was by installing Ubuntu and then loading Kubuntu over it. What was weird was the Kubuntu live CD recognised and ran with wireless card fine. Only when I did a 'proper' install did I come unstuck.

So moving to 10.10, I did a clean install - no I didn't go live CD - just format and install. surley by 10.10 it'd be working {thought he} - It's not like I'm the only person who would have this problem - lots of other people have had similar issues and they have been able to fix them - I'll be fine...{famous last words ??}

WHY WHY WHY can't i get this damm card working..

Please help

I'm not even sure when I look at other posts what the 'best' method of reporting is - seems that the more i read the more i get confused - my latest attempt was to install wicd - but it responded with error (which I didn't write down) so now I have three network icons on the task manager and still none of them seems to work.

Can someone please walk me though this. I _really_ _really_ want to ditch XP off this machine (which has no problems with the card) but until I can untether myself I can not.

So PLEASE HELP

Re: Dell Inspiron 1520 + Intel 4965AGN + Meekrat = going insane!! PLEASE help

seems u have tried very hard.
    ok.. cool down first.
    what is the problem exactly? only the wireless network problem right?
    here is how i get it to work.
    1. install kubuntu.
    2. connect to net using ethernet.. i.e. wired net.
    3. Update apt. Open konsole and enter following command: sudo apt-get update
    4. Install Drivers: Driver for Broadcom wireless can be update from Hardware update in kubuntu directly.
    GoTo: K->Applications->System->Hardware Drivers
    install Broadcom STA
    5. restart computer and now search for wireless network.

hope this helps.
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Should I uninstall wicd or leave it installed?

Thanks for your help on this - I didn't want to hit the 'PLEASE HELP" button without first giving it my best shot. Unfortunately it seems my best shot was way off the mark.

I've just installed the broadcom drivers, and am about to re-boot. Please wish me luck......

Comment

I'm not even sure when I look at other posts what the 'best' method of reporting is - seems that the more i read the more i get confused - my latest attempt was to install wicd - but it responded with error (which I didn't write down) so now I have three network icons on the task manager and still none of them seems to work.
        you can only run 1 network manager at a time ............wicd will NOT work if you have the stock network manager still installed....... having more than 1 creates conflicts.

theirs post around hear for removing the stock one and installing wicd....but sense your install is new you may want to just do a clean install and start from their.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

@pclyne: yeah.. do remember to keep only one network manager. my fav is wicd.
          and in case the problem is solved.. don't forget to add 'solved' to the subject.
          asus A52N

Comment

Not solved

But now I get a signal bar over on the right of network manager with a yellow shield next to it.

I have checked many many times that I'm putting in my pass phrase correctly (trying all sorts of CAPS combinations) but still no joy.

I'm still confused as the driver is reported as iwlagn - but didn't I just install the broadcom version?

Do I have to keep unplugging my copper and rebooting each time I change something? Can I run BOTH copper and wireless until I get wireless connecting then ditch the copper? Having two interfaces up (well only _really_ one working one - Cu) isn't adding to the problem is it?

And HUGE thanks for your suggestions so far - At least I don't feel so helpless...

Comment

have u removed all but one network manager? or there are more than one network manager on your computer?

@kubuntu pro users: if r reading please suggest which command to run to know if driver is activated properly.. i have no idea in that sense
              asus A52N

Comment

Just to be clear. Are you sure you have an Intel 4965agn? I checked the Dell Website and it's not specifically mentioned as an option for the INspiron 1520. You can check in windows Hardware Manager.

I recommend that you install wicd & uninstall network-manager & related dependencies & anything with network-manager in the name. Can you post the output of

Code:
                iwconfig
                Another question or two, can you your wireless network? Was the wicd error message "Bad Password", by chance?

Comment

Now today I've logged in and Connected without any dramas.... perhaps it's sorted? I'll have to stay close and let you know (I'll update the thread, if it keeps up for a week)

iwconfig shows....

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:"IZero"
                  Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:11:50:EB:A1:9F
                  Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=14 dBm
                  Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
                  Power Managementff
                  Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-39 dBm
                  Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
                  Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions...

Anything else I should check if it all goes pearshaped?

Comment

Working...
                  X