This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can't connect D-Link DWA-160 to 802.11n router

I have a Linksys 310n (Rev. 1) router and a D-Link DWA-160 usb wireless dongle.

After blacklisting the rt2800usb driver, I was able to connect as a 802.11g client. I have been completely unsuccessful in connecting in Kubuntu Maverick to my router as a 802.11n client.

I fiddled with encryption: setting it to WPA2/AES in the router. I set the router to use only 802.11n. I fiddled & I futzed with KnetworkManager & wicd. I've deleted profiles & created new ones.

Just to make it all more aggravating, I can connect as a 802.11n client when I boot into Windows 7.

Obviously, I'm missing something. Can anyone enlighten me?

[SOLVED] Re: Can't connect D-Link DWA-160 to 802.11n router

I figured it out.

1) Purge NetworkManager, install wicd & dpcpcd. Once wicd is installed, enable dhcpcd on the external programs tab in Preferences.

1) Download and extract. Compiling the RT2870sta driver for Maverick requires changes in the rt_linux.h file and removing the stock rt2870sta module and enabling wpa_supplicant in config.mk in [DRIVER DIRECTORY]/os/linux/config.mk

Kernel 2.6.35

Ralink hasn't upgraded their RT2870 driver since July 2010. The version provided on the website http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2 doesn't compile in 2.6.35, due to some errors. The kernel developers renamed some functions.
    [edit] How to fix

-Go to: [driver_dir]/include/os/ and open rt_linux.h
    -Go to line 1077 and replace it with:

#define RTUSB_URB_ALLOC_BUFFER(pUsb_Dev, BufSize, pDma_addr) usb_alloc_coherent(pUsb_Dev, BufSize, GFP_ATOMIC, pDma_addr)

-Go to line 1078, replace it with:

#define RTUSB_URB_FREE_BUFFER(pUsb_Dev, BufSize, pTransfer

3) Fill in password & SSID info in the file /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.DAT. Instructions can also be found at http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Ralink_RT2870.

4)In the driver directory at the command line enter:

make && sudo make install

5. Just for good measure reboot. Start wicd. It should now pick up your network. Proceed as normal. You should now be connecting as a 802.11n client to your chosen router.

If you get the "BAD PASSWORD" error, make sure that dhcpcd is installed & selected in wicd's preferences & external programs.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Can't connect D-Link DWA-160 to 802.11n router

WAY TO GO, timek718 !!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Excellent work!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

An addendum. I set my router's channel to one that is unused and has a couple of empty channels between it & the nearest used channels. That helped my desktop with the D-Link DWA160. Now, my desktop reports a steady connect speed of 270Mbs.

Anyone know of a guide to troubleshooting wireless network interference?

Comment

What is the interference you are seeing?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There are 7 or 8 routers/networks showing. Most of them use channel 6, 2 or 3 use channel 1. And one uses channel 11. I had "Auto" selected for the wireless channel. But it kept using 1 or 6. So I set the channel to 9. And lo & behold, things work much, much better.

Comment

Working...
            X