This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Network not working

I have just installed Kubuntu 10.10 on my Acer Aspire One ZG5. I'm now trying to get the wireless to work. It has recognized the wireless network, the orange wireless card light is on and then it said it was setting the network address. Now it seems to be stuck at "waiting for authorization". I'm not sure where to go from here, because no authorization windows are popping up....and I'm sure that all the info is corrected filled in. Any insight, also how do I open up the terminal?
    I'm not really savy with Linux, but am a quick learner.
    I have found this solution, but its for ubuntu. will it do the same thing for kubuntu?

Re: Wireless Network not working

This is the lspci

tallina@tallinalappy:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    04:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. SD/MMC Host Controller
    04:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technology Corp. Standard SD Host Controller
    04:00.3 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. MS Host Controller
    04:00.4 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. xD Host Controller

hope this helps to help me....

Comment

Originally posted by tallina
      I have just installed Kubuntu 10.10 on my Acer Aspire One ZG5. I'm now trying to get the wireless to work. It has recognized the wireless network, the orange wireless card light is on and then it said it was setting the network address. Now it seems to be stuck at "waiting for authorization". I'm not sure where to go from here, because no authorization windows are popping up....and I'm sure that all the info is corrected filled in. Any insight, also how do I open up the terminal?
      I have found this solution, but its for ubuntu. will it do the same thing for kubuntu?
      Hi Tallina
      I don't have a solution, I've got the same problem except my Acer Aspire 3680's orange doesn't even light up. Could you perhaps post the solution (although for Ubuntu) or just pm it to me? Thanks so much

Comment

Originally posted by tallina
        I didn't see your solution in your OP.
        Make sure your authorization isn't a pop-under dialog asking for a wallet password or your sudo password.

The backprots are found in the following repositories. Add them to /etc/apt/sources.list.
        deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates multiverse
        deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates multiverse
        deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-proposed restricted main multiverse universe

Then in a Konsole enter:
        sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.35-lucid-generic

Your driver is the ath5k module.
        03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
        If the backports doesn't work then perhaps, or in addtion:
        sudo rmmod ath5k
        sudo modprobe ath5k nohwcrypt=1

Do you know how to use KNetworkManager to configure your wireless ESSID, encryption type and password?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have the same problem with two HP computers (one of them is a Laptop): no wireless card is detected (although I am using it right now with Kubuntu 10.04)

You say I could enable the backports, but (although I may sound stupid): how am I to do it if I don't have any internet connection? (I can't use an ethernet cable).

Thanks

Comment

You could do Internet Connection Sharing or IP Masquerading.

Here is a similar how-to in the Ubuntu forum.

You need to turn on IP forwarding on the Kubuntu box. Try sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
            to turn it on on the fly. If that takes care of it, set it persistently in /etc/sysctl.conf:
            net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

You can also set up an ad-hoc network between two computers, the way those ten Russian spied did it last Spring, and how they got caught! .
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Same problem on Asus K60

I too can't get wireless networking working after the Meerkat upgrade. My machine is an Asus K60 laptop. I'm using wicd and madwifi, following the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ianAlternative. Earlier the network was detected correctly but my router password kept being rejected, though it worked fine on a Windows partition on the same machine. Here's the relevant output of lsmod:
              Code:
              root@Asus-laptop:/home/pwa# lsmod | grep ath
              ath_pci        192200 0 
              ath          10413 0 
              wlan         246796 1 ath_pci
              ath_hal        434988 1 ath_pci
              cfg80211       170293 2 ath,mac80211

Comment

Working...
              X