This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major hardware failure

Not really a question, or appeal for help. Just wanted to sound off about my woes.

A few days ago I was working on another computer and I had my main computer running, listening to streaming radio broadcast as I worked. All of a sudden my audio went into an endless loop and started playing the same last few seconds of the broadcast over and over. Just like when a vinyl record gets stuck in a track.

I went over to my desk, and I had no video, and the keyboard and mouse were totally unresponsive.

I had no choice but to do a hard shutdown. When I tried to restart, the power 3ED came on, and the HD LED came on but no display. Nothing.

Following my usual hardware troubleshooting protocol, I started swapping parts. First, I removed all PCI cards from the computer. Then I installed a known good video card. Still nothing. So I put my video card in another computer and it worked fine. I hooked my monitor to another computer. No problem. I also tested the power supply, which tested OK, but I swapped in a known good power supply anyway. There are no lights on the keyboard, and the light in the mouse does not light up.Both of these work fine on another computer. Tried resetting the bios, no go. Nothing worked. So I concluded my MB failed. Ordered a new MB and it came today, and after installation, still nothing. So that leaves the CPU. Got one coming
    with next day shipping tomorrow. Woe is me

Re: Major hardware failure

Sorry to hear that. It happens though and usually at the most inconvenient time. I've been there. Stay strong and get that machine back up and running!

Comment

bummer Detonate.. but great a place for me to do the same too, this is one of the weridest things i have ever seen a computer do also

so last week i was at work browsing the forums on my netbook....when BAM all of a sudden out of no where i see these blocks on rekonq title bar. closeing rekonq i found out that all text is unreadable, and there are more small blocks every where on my desktop.well thats not normal, i hop over to a tty (that displays perfectly) and login and restart kdm, but same thing.. text is unreadable. and there are blocks all over the place (small like 2mm^2 ones) so after some messing around i figure out that if i kill the effects that the blocks are not just confined to my title bars and text. but i found out that amazingly rekonq looked perfect and any dialog that rekonq made was perfect also (effects off),so it's got to be a driver thing or a setting. it was just about that time i realized that i have teh xorg-edgers ppa installed. go a purge that. same thing. i boot a live stick of kubutnu 11.04 , same thing... 10.10 same problem. so now im thinking its a Hw issue but all my tty's and non Xorg looks good even managed to get xversa based parted magic live disk to display correctly. so at this point im thinking its a laptop w/ shared video its got to be my ram replace my ram w/ a stick borrowed from ms.sith laptop.. same problem! and her laptop is ok w/ my ram.. so at this point i dont' know what exactly to do ive clearly determed its an issue but why does rekonq render perfectly. it must be some kind of stuck bit (setting) for my driver. clear the bios , no better. update the bios (i was a rev behind too). but sadly i still had the same issue.. im thinking at this point something that i can fix by maybe installing xp on to the netbook .(this was all done via usb btw) . after a few attempts i managed to turn a copy of xp sp3 in to a usb stick that i could boot the installer from (a program called win2flash if anyone needs to do similar). i got the installer to boot and now idk if any of you have ever done an xp install (im guessing you prolly have) but there are two set up phases a simple gui one where you install and extract part of the os so you can run the next set up level. that "install" took literally 5 hours after formating my former '/' partition and im not kidding at all, im prolly underestmating. so set up phase two of xp is a higher gui level (this is where i expect corruption) but it not only goes quickly but the video looks fine.. Xp is installed.im thinking awesome the stuck bit is fixed lets install the driver just to be sure the card is good.. i boot xp and really fast bsod and restarts the machine(my inner penguin was smiling).. ?? i tried to boot xp a few more times but same results.. made a live kubuntu disk and my display corruption was there again. i ended up having to buy one that someone near by had w/ a broken screen swapped its mobo into mine and the problem is gone. (i have the other parts to play with too) im just wondering what would cause that.
      display corruption but effects work (but add more blocks) no matter what the title bars and test is unreadable. but a terminal looks fine (even w/ color) and xversa works. but rekonq displays web pages , videos, and everything (but its title bar) correctly.

thank for the rant space
      (and i've typed to long replays lol)
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Have any of you been hit by the bad Capacitor issue from Dell? Boy I have at work. I've been keeping them limping along but eventually those capacitors go and it isn't pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
          Have any of you been hit by the bad Capacitor issue from Dell? Boy I have at work. I've been keeping them limping along but eventually those capacitors go and it isn't pretty.
          Hi....

What are you replacing the Dells with?
          Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
          How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
          PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I bought a Dell ONCE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
              So that leaves the CPU. Got one coming
              with next day shipping tomorrow. Woe is me
              Bummer. Yes, woe is you. A CPU failure alone, when nothing else has failed, is pretty unusual in my experience. Usually a motherboard failure takes the CPU with it.

Well, into each life a little rain must fall .....

We were hit by a severe hailstorm last Wednesday. Think billiard balls of ice pounding your house and yard. Siding damaged on 3 sides, four year-old roof beat up badly, 3 broken windows, 2 ripped screens ...

But, it's not Joplin or Tuscaloosa. The people here are fine, just the house got slammed.

Comment

Where I worked before I retired had a contract with DELL for over ten years. The last 2 to 3 years before I retired the IT guys said that they were returning 1 out of 3 monitors and about 1 out of 4 laptops because they were DOA.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  A CPU failure alone, when nothing else has failed, is pretty unusual in my experience. Usually a motherboard failure takes the CPU with it.
                  Probably what happened. I will be replacing both.

Comment

maybe just a couple of restarts
                    woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      Bummer. Yes, woe is you. A CPU failure alone, when nothing else has failed, is pretty unusual in my experience.
                      Mine too. In damn near 20 years of deskside support I've seen a processor fail maybe twice. It's so rare that like sithlord, I'll replace a motherboard before I suspect a CPU.
                      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71
                        Hi....

What are you replacing the Dells with?
                        ACERs. I get a far better machine for the money too. Dell quit giving me deals that were agreeable. When they gave me good deals with a 3 year Gold warranty it was easy to go with them. They replaced all failed components at cost the next day, usually. They quit giving me that so I couldn't justify bringing in equipment with less than stellar performance. These are on Desktops by the way. They seem to focus more on laptops the way they did with desktops. Truthfully, bare bones kits far exceed Dell's desktops.

Comment

Truthfully, bare bones kits far exceed Dell's desktops.
                          I'm forced to buy Dell at work but thankfully their business machines are still pretty solid. Their consumer-grade machines have gone downhill in a hurry.
                          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                          -- anais nin

Comment

Everything is back up and running again. Took a new MB and processor to fix it. Had a little scare on first boot, nothing worked. Then I had a DUH! moment and realized I had the memory in the wrong slots.

Comment

That'll do it!

Glad to hear you are up and running.

Comment

Working...
                              X