This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD-R can be accessed under windows, not in Linux

My wife got a CD-R with pics that someone had burned for her. Under Linux the disk cannot be accessed. Under Kubuntu it does not show up at all (no dmesg output either). In Mepis, it is shown as a blank CD-R. Under Windows, I can access the CD and all files on it.

I have never seen this before. Anyone has a clue what's up?

Re: CD-R can be accessed under windows, not in Linux

Originally posted by Xinixs

Under Windows, I can access the CD and all files on it.
    Is it the same computer/optical drive, running Windows?

Comment

I have a similar issue. Sometimes my CD/DVD R/W works and sometimes it doesn't. Mostly see I/O errors from it in Kubuntu but in Windows it's as though nothing is wrong. Most of the times I've had issues with USB HUBs like that and when replaced is fine. So what I figure is that Linux will tell you more when something is failing than Windows. Which, in my opinion, is why Windows corrupts data more. I never have had corrupt data in Linux especially when I notice these kind of issues and replace the offending component. My point, I'm currently looking for a new CD/DVD R/W drive as I believe more what Kubuntu is saying about the hardware than I do Windows. This may not be your issue, but I would look in the boot logs to see if there are any I/O errors for that device.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Is it the same computer/optical drive, running Windows?
        Yup!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
          I This may not be your issue, but I would look in the boot logs to see if there are any I/O errors for that device.
          Could be, but I don't think so. Normally, the drive works perfectly and as I stated, dmesg gives no output whatsoever when I insert the disk.

Comment

Can any other cd disk be recognize using Linux or just that one? If so, you might want to check its format.
            Boot Info Script

Comment

There are different filesystem options you can use on data CDs, and not all of them are well standardized. For example, I have had difficulty reading discs recorded with UDF on older systems.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
              X