This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

internal mic no longer recognizing sound for skype[solved]

I was using Skype, and the mic stopped recognizing sound from me. I restarted the computer, but still no good. I ran an update, but it was updating VLC, not skype or my computer. Gah. I'm not sure what to do exactly, since I don't know how to troubleshoot this. Here is lspci output:
    joshua@Isadora:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
    05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
    Not sure what else to say, I'm using 10.10, with KDE4.6.2. I used the microphone about ten minutes before it died, and I tested skype as well to see if I accidently muted it, which I don't believe I did
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Re: internal mic no longer recognizing sound for skype

Is there no help for this? I really don't know what to do, and my Windows machine is the only thing that people on skype can hear me with, but only sort of. I hate using windows though, and since windows sucks, the quality sucks. I liked the linux-skype much more. So, if anyone knows how to help me, it'd be much appreciated
    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

I used the microphone about ten minutes before it died
      That is a most unusual report -- are you saying the mic worked correctly, and then stopped? Could it have failed?

Microphones are probably the second most devilish devices to get control of with Linux, exceeded only by video cards. IMHO. In my latest adventure with a conventional mic plugged into the front mic jack of my computer, here is what it takes to get correct function with Skype 2.2 Beta, on a KDE 4.6.1 desktop:

1. Install alsa-base, alsamixergui, pulseaudio, paman, padevchooser, pavucontrol, pavumeter, pulseaudio-module-gconf, paprefs, libpulse-browse0, libpulse0, libcanberra-pulse, etc. (not saying all are required, but I ended up with all of them by the time it was working).

2. Open pavucontrol, and go to the "configuration" tab. I have the GEF High Def. audio controller set to "off", and the "Internal Audio" set to "Analog Surround 4.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input". Check the "Input Devices" tab -- it should be set to "Internal Audio Analog Stereo", with the mute NOT on, and you'll probably have to move the volume slider up to about 80% to 90%.

3. Open systemsettings > multimedia > phonon > audio output > music. The only device showing on my list is "pulseaudio sound server". Click the "test" button and confirm that the speakers play the tone. Now look at audio capture > communication. On mine, I see "pulseaudio sound server" on top of the list, and "HDA Intel (ALC 889 Analog) in second position.

4. Open alsamixergui, which shows the "front mic" and "front mic boost" channels inactive. Click them to make active, set the volume up on both, to 80% or 90%.

5. Now back on the pavucontrol input devices tab, you should be able to speak in front of the mic, and see the activity on the indicator, or on the pavumeter for the input device.

If you get this much working, then you can use your Kmix master volume to control the volume.

My hardware:

Code:
      00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
      05:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF100 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
      The two-step maneuver with pavucontrol and alsamixergui needs to be done for each KDE login session -- the settings do not persist after a logout from the desktop. In Skype, Options > Sound Devices, you can use the PulseAudio Server (local) for mic, speakers, and ringing, and it mostly works -- "ringing" is a little iffy on my setup, but mic and speakers work correctly.

USB microphones are a whole different story ...

Hope this helps.

Comment

I tried to follow these steps, but I got lost on the first one sadly. I opened pavucontrol from the konsole after it finished installing the list you wrote out plus some additional items. I clicked on the 'configuration' tab, but there is only one option. Its a drop down box that gives me the options of "Analog Stereo Duplex", "Analog Stereo Output", and "Analog Stereo Input" and "Off". I tried to follow the other steps, but alsamixergui wasn't showing my mic, but alsmamixer was. So I unmuted it from there, and could hear myself from it then. But its the exact same thing I tried from earlier[I posted on 'help the new guy' since this thread hadn't recieved any activity for about a week, though your response gave me much more details]. As well, the 'phonon' section, it shows it mostly similar to yours, but instead of "HDA Intel (ALC 889 Analog)" mine is
        "Internal Audio Analog Stereo"
        "HDA Intel (ALC269 Analog)"
        "HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog (Direct hardware device without any conversions)"
        "HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog (Hardware device with all software conversions)"
        "HDA Intel, ALC269 Analog (Direct sample snooping device)
        A blank line
        "Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server"

In that order. I'm not sure what they meant. As well, the 'test' on the music part worked just fine, but I didn't expect that to go wrong.

I don't know if I did something wrong, or what. But yes, the microphone was working right before hand, and stopped halfway through a call. Also, the mic is inside of my computer, its not a USB mic.

Comment

Try moving the "Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server" to the top.

Comment

I thought of that, and it wouldn't let me do that. Perhaps if I rolled up to Natty, it might randomely solve it. Though I'd like to find out where the issue is to help others out if they stumble upon it themselves.

Comment

I couldn't get sound out of my USB Webcam mic. Until now. I found a way. Its a hack job, but it works.
              I think your internal mic would be the same as my internal audio with a mic plugged in. And not the same as my USB Webcam.
              But Phonon may hold the answer.

Using Phonon I turned off the internal Speaker, then back at Audio Capture, the Internel Audio was greyed out, and my USB Webcam was next in line.

Now Skype works through my USB Webcam, and Amarok works through my internal audio through my speakers.

Boot Info Script

Comment

@verndog
                I didn't see this post till now, so I cannot confirm if this works for me as well, but I basically tinkered around with Pavucontrol/aslamixer until it started to work. I unmuted, moved sliders, muted, turned on and off, etc. I was actually trying to figure out how to record my desktop with sound, and I accidently brushed my finger across my mic and heard it through my earbuds. I got a friend to test call with me, and they said they heard me loud and clear, better then from Windows. Still don't know what I did though

Comment

Working...
                X