This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: turbo boost

I think most people who've used Linux for awhile keep a separate home partition.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Actually, what I have been doing the last couple of years is to install all of Linux on a 15 - 20GB partition, including /home. Then I keep my important data on other partitions, and symlink it into my /home directory. Doing it this way seems to provide a couple of advantages:

(1) plenty of space for casual downloading of stuff to /home/Downloads
      (2) zero possibility of an OS problem leading to destruction of important data
      (3) important data is not commingled with "settings", that might need to be wiped out for one reason or another

@Patti, on the conky -- it's actually not as easy as it appears on the surface. Working from memory, relevant packages are:

conky
      conkyall
      conkyforecast
      conkyemail
      curl
      libxslt1.1
      xsltproc
      feh

and of course
      lm-sensors
      nvclock (if you use an Nvidia GPU)

For the weather, you have to register with the xoap service -- I forget how I did that exactly, but it is in the "conkyweather" link above. Then you need the weather.xslt script and a hidden .conkyweather.config script and it "calls in" for the weather forecast data every couple of minutes.

So, I have a directory /home/don/Conky and that is where I keep it all, and of course that is backed up. My "conkymain" script (others call it conky.rc), which has the actual conky layout, is there, and it is called during bootup by a script in ~.kde/Autostart. The .conkyweather.config script which has the critical xoap registration and my locale designation is in my home folder. That's the highlights -- of course many devils lie in the details ....

If you choose to try one, first just do a basic conky and get your system info showing. Then you can add the e-mail and/or the weather. You can see that I first tacked on the e-mail section, then the weather section, on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Actually, what I have been doing the last couple of years is to install all of Linux on a 15 - 20GB partition, including /home. Then I keep my important data on other partitions, and symlink it into my /home directory. Doing it this way seems to provide a couple of advantages:
        Yes, that's what I'm doing these days too. OS partition(s) and data partitions. I do keep a separate /home directory also. What I really like about the 17" laptops is a second hard drive...

@Patti, on the conky -- it's actually not as easy as it appears on the surface.
        LOL!

For the weather, you have to register with the xoap service -- I forget how I did that exactly, but it is in the "conkyweather" link above. Then you need the weather.xslt script and a hidden .conkyweather.config script and it "calls in" for the weather forecast data every couple of minutes.
        Yes, did that too - but I think I have some packages not installed. The weather icons were not there, and the CPU sensors weren't spaced right. The weather would be nice, and it would be *really* nice if it was behind everything - like part of the desktop or a widget.

Thanks Again!
        PattiMichelle

EDIT: fiddling with apt-get and it looks like not everything got installed! It's funny how *little* software is installed with Kubuntu. In the OpenSuSE installer, I can just click a few "install everything" checkboxes, and I have almost everything I need. Hmmm... not sure I want Conky messing with my email... I've had the same email since I had a 2400 baud modem.

Can't seem to attach my screen shot - that fixed the weather, but there's some large random letters, it's too big, covers up KDE windows, CPU bars are wrong, and Conky isn't transluscent. Not bad for just a few minutes effort (wouldn't have gotten far without your comments and links, THANKS!!)

Comment

OK, had to jpeg it... (talk about a hijacked thread!!)
          Attached Files

Comment

Interesting -- I like the meter style of your CPU bars -- how did you do that?

Here are the code lines for the CPU and memory section of my conky, FYI:

Code:
            ${color white}Intel i7 950
            ${color green}Core 0 ${color pink} ${freq_g cpu1}Ghz ${color white}${cpu cpu1}% ${color grey}${alignr}${cpubar cpu1 10,160}
            ${color green}Core 1 ${color pink} ${freq_g cpu2}Ghz ${color white}${cpu cpu2}% ${color grey}${alignr}${cpubar cpu2 10,160}
            ${color green}Core 2 ${color pink} ${freq_g cpu3}Ghz ${color white}${cpu cpu3}% ${color grey}${alignr}${cpubar cpu3 10,160}
            ${color green}Core 3 ${color pink} ${freq_g cpu4}Ghz ${color white}${cpu cpu4}% ${color grey}${alignr}${cpubar cpu4 10,160}
            ${color green}Core 4 ${color pink} ${freq_g cpu5}Ghz ${color white}${cpu cpu5}% ${color grey}${alignr}${cpubar cpu5 10,160}
            ${color green}Core 5 ${color pink} ${freq_g cpu6}Ghz ${color white}${cpu cpu6}% ${color grey}${alignr}${cpubar cpu6 10,160}
            ${color green}Core 6 ${color pink} ${freq_g cpu7}Ghz ${color white}${cpu cpu7}% ${color grey}${alignr}${cpubar cpu7 10,160}
            ${color green}Core 7 ${color pink} ${freq_g cpu8}Ghz ${color white}${cpu cpu8}% ${color grey}${alignr}${cpubar cpu8 10,160}
            ${color green}Memory: ${color white}$memperc% ${color grey}${alignr}${membar 10,200}
            ${color green}Swap:  ${color white}$swapperc% ${color grey}${alignr}${swapbar 10,200}

Comment

I ripped it off from the last email in that link you sent Didn't work for me, tho - funny spacing.

Code:
              ${voffset 2}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8}${color4}PROCESSORS${offset 8}${color8}${voffset -2}${hr 2}${font}
              ${voffset 2}${font StyleBats:size=9.9}${color2}k${voffset -2}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.39}${color3}${offset 2}CPU1${offset 5}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${cpu cpu1}%${font}
              ${voffset 2}${font StyleBats:size=9.9}${color2}k${voffset -2}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.39}${color3}${offset 2}CPU2${offset 5}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${cpu cpu2}%${font}
              ${voffset 2}${font StyleBats:size=9.9}${color2}k${voffset -2}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.39}${color3}${offset 2}CPU1${offset 5}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${cpu cpu3}%${font}
              ${voffset 2}${font StyleBats:size=9.9}${color2}k${voffset -2}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.39}${color3}${offset 2}CPU2${offset 5}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${cpu cpu4}%${font}
              ${voffset 2}${font StyleBats:size=9.9}${color2}k${voffset -2}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.39}${color3}${offset 2}CPU1${offset 5}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${cpu cpu5}%${font}
              ${voffset 2}${font StyleBats:size=9.9}${color2}k${voffset -2}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.39}${color3}${offset 2}CPU2${offset 5}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${cpu cpu6}%${font}
              ${voffset 2}${font StyleBats:size=9.9}${color2}k${voffset -2}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.39}${color3}${offset 2}CPU1${offset 5}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${cpu cpu7}%${font}
              ${voffset 2}${font StyleBats:size=9.9}${color2}k${voffset -2}${font DroidSansFallback:size=8.39}${color3}${offset 2}CPU2${offset 5}${font DroidSans:size=8.3}${cpu cpu8}%${font}

Comment

OK, I took a look -- those nice bar graphs are written by the script that is below the usual conky code. Some day when there's nothing more pressing, I might try adapting that to my conky, but it looks like another weekend of complexity .... :P

Comment

Display Turbo Boost speeds in Conky using i7z:

Start i7z so that it logs to a file (cpu_freq_log.txt):

Code:
                  # ./i7z -w l --nogui
                  Update your .conkyrc file:

Code:
                  Core 1: ${exec head -n 2 /your/path/to/cpu_freq_log.txt | tail -n 1 | cut -f1 -d'.'} MHz
                  Core 2: ${exec head -n 3 /your/path/to/cpu_freq_log.txt | tail -n 1 | cut -f1 -d'.'} MHz
                  Core 3: ${exec head -n 4 /your/path/to/cpu_freq_log.txt | tail -n 1 | cut -f1 -d'.'} MHz
                  Core 4: ${exec head -n 5 /your/path/to/cpu_freq_log.txt | tail -n 1 | cut -f1 -d'.'} MHz

Comment

I was with all the installation procedure but still some of the packages did not install...What for that

Comment

Working...
                    X