This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window rendering issue on laptop

Been a while since I posted on here, hopefully someone has an answer for this one.
    I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running Kubuntu 10.10 with the latest KDE4.
    For the last couple of months I've been having an issue where the screen and windows won't render properly. Pieces will be missing or icons out of place until I move my mouse over them or minimize the window and reopen.
    My system is fully up to date, not sure what is going on.
    I'm not sure if this is even a Kubuntu issue or possibly just a KDE issue. Tested Mint KDE and saw the same problem, so maybe KDE.

Has anyone else been experiencing any issues like this?
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Re: Window rendering issue on laptop

sounds like a vid driver problem....

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I thought about that too, but my girlfriends Dell was having the same issue.
      She was getting pretty irritated about it so I switched her to Mint with the Gnome desktop and she is not having any issues now.
      My laptop just has the onboard Intel video.
      &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

There is definitely some issues specifically with intel gpu's and some KDE versions of Kwin. So switching to Gnome definitely will see a difference for this spyakecific item, using Mint or other distro doesn't change this, unfortunately.
        http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...ns-of-drivers/
        and other blogs from this kwin dev kinda give a glimpse at things - tho his site seem down at the moment I could not find the link to the proper blog post I wanted to show.

Are you running KDE 4.6? this does seem to have the least issues. i have a Dell Latitude fro 2008 with Mobile GM965/GL960 and don't see this myself, thou i am running Natty most of the time. I had not noticed any issues in Maverick myself

There are only a couple of things I can suggest:
        disabling blur effect if you have it on
        Try enabling/disabling Direct Rendering and vsync
        try out updated upstream Intel drivers from a ppa:
        https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

I don't know if any xorg.conf tweaks would help here.

Comment

Thanks claydoh.
          Looks like the "ubuntu-x-swat" did the trick.
          I am not seeing any problems right now, but I will know for sure later when I am on my laptop a little longer.

Comment

Working...
          X