Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realtek RTL8191SE on Toshiba Satellite A505-s6020 all working!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realtek RTL8191SE on Toshiba Satellite A505-s6020 all working!

Though I've run Ubuntu before, and looked at Kubuntu in the past, its all been a while. For many years I've been an openSuse user, and then recently with LinuxMint on a netbook.

But... My laptop (as in subject) has been driving me BUGNUTS! Windows 7 is OK for Windows, but I don't like Windows. I spent nearly 13 years supporting some garbage Windows real estate software, and between it and Windows, there was very much I didn't like.

Sooo, I had openSuse 11.4 installed to my laptop, along with Windows 7. But I had no wifi on the Linux side. Read many forum pieces on this, but nothing sounded very easy, and I learned a long time back I didn't enjoy running specific kernels as often you got hosed in later updates.

I looked at many different Linux flavors, but kept coming up empty.

A few days back I downloaded Kubuntu 10.10, burnt it to CD, booted from CD, went into Network Manager to add a wireless connect (expecting it to bomb out real soon), and guess what? I was able to search for my router!!! So I finished building the wifi link in Network Manager, and within just a couple minutes was all connected to my touter!

I was absolutely amazed with this! So it immediately became time for an install.

So Kubuntu folks, you ought to be bragging up this detail, cause as far as I know you're the only one with built-in Realtek wifi support - I looked at MANY!

I would suspect it to be an Ndiswrapper routine, at least that's the direction Suse and others were going. And I haven't been energetic enough to dig thru the kernel pieces to see how you implemented this support.

But please be advised, out of the dozen plus Linux flavors I've looked at, you're the first with support for this wifi. Time to 'brag it up' I'd say! And THANKS!!!

-Pat

Re: Realtek RTL8191SE on Toshiba Satellite A505-s6020 all working!

Well GOOD BigPat!

And welcome to the forum!
    I'm not one of the folks that developed this wonderful distro, i'm just a saloon keeper, but I'm sure glad that things worked for you!
    Stick around and visit!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Re: Realtek RTL8191SE on Toshiba Satellite A505-s6020 all working!

Originally posted by woodsmoke
      Well GOOD BigPat!

And welcome to the forum!
      I'm not one of the folks that developed this wonderful distro, i'm just a saloon keeper, but I'm sure glad that things worked for you!
      Stick around and visit!

woodsmoke
      Thanks! I'll be around. I'm pretty much a convert from openSuse and LinuxMint now. Feels pretty good to shake the lint free!

Comment

Working...
      X