This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusion about sound support

I am totally confused about sound in this release -- and maybe others. Using the ps command, I see that pulseaudio is running and not alsa. I suppose there is some sort of software stack, with a driver for each device, a server (pulseaudio) which uses the driver, and applications (like Amarok) which access the server. (Any doc or references for this?) But I see that Amarok is using phonon. Is this contradictory or does Phonon (whatever that is) use pulseaudio?

Ok, Wikipedia tells me that Phonon is the multimedia (therefore, sound) API for Qt and that Qt (this is getting deeper now...) is a GUI programming interface. Fine, so does Qt use ... what -- alsa or pulseaudio or something else?

I was told recently that Amarok would go over to using vlc software. So where are we?

As you can see, I do not understand this thing.

Also, my "Internal audio analog stereo" is muted at each boot. I have consulted the pages on this, but cannot understand what to do for that either, at least not until I master the matter of this post.

Thanks for any help in clearing up the obscurity in which I am wandering around.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Confusion about sound support

Apparently there are no replies for this topic.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
    X