This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Slightly OT] Broke my LCD

Not really Linux/Kubuntu related, but I broke the LCD on my laptop yesterday. It fell off the counter, but I managed to catch it before it hit the ground. Nice save! Except I caught by the panel lid, popping the LCD. GRRR!!!!

Dell quoted me $100 for a replacement (I'm typing this now on an old monitor plugged into the external). Looks like I'll be learning DIY LCD replacement in the next week or so. lol.

Any tips/advice?
    Registered Linux user #346571

Re: [Slightyl OT] Broke my LCD

How to Replace a Dell Laptop LCD Screen
    Dell Laptop Screen Repair - Illustrated how to replace a Latitude notebook backlight and LCD
    Laptop LCD Removal Instructions

Just Google search using howto replace your dell laptop lcd (no quotes). If you include your model in the search, the results will be more specific.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

i have repaired quite few laptops. the lcd is not to bad to change. its just a lot of covers you ususally have to take off the machine to get to the panel it self.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Re: [Slightly OT] Broke my LCD

Got my LCD and replaced it last night! Installation went swimmingly. I had it in and working in under two hours, total. Nice!! Just one small prob... The dreaded dead pixel. Now I'm back on the phone with them to see what I can do....

Comment

perhaps you can fix it with one of those software based pixel fixers. basicly it just constently changes ever pixels color. sometimes this can fix dead pixels
            http://www.jscreenfix.com/ <- this is an example of one of these tools. it might fix your panel.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy1701
              Got my LCD and replaced it last night! Installation went swimmingly. I had it in and working in under two hours, total. Nice!! Just one small prob... The dreaded dead pixel. Now I'm back on the phone with them to see what I can do....
              Congratulations! I just love to see people fix things.

I used a laptop for a little while some years ago. It also had a broken pixel, but it showed up as a subtle little sparkle. Since it was in the top right it didn't interfere with reading. As it turns out I really got to like it, and after a little while would have been disappointed if it disappeared. I'm probably more visually oriented than most, so I like these kinds of things, but I'm just reporting in to say that there's different ways to look at things.

Comment

Sithlord, I will check that out tonight! Awesome suggestion.

Comment

I tried JScreenFix last night. Left it run for over an hour, although the page says twenty minutes is sufficient. The results were mixed. The pixel in question was a very bright green dot. It may have been more than one pixel, I'm not sure. After running JScreenFix, the dot now appears to be much, much smaller and much less bright. It's also more of a yellow hue then green now, although it's so tiny and dim now that it's hard to tell. It *is* still there, but looks so much better. I hardly notice it unless I've got Terminal over it or some other such black screen app.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

thats awesome! happy to help

Comment

Working...
                    X