Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] How to Connect to a Windows Printer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How to Connect to a Windows Printer?

I searched, but didn't see something that addressed this question. If it's already been addressed somewhere else, please pass on the link, thanks!

On my home network, I have a HP Laser Jet 1200 printer that is shared from a Windows 7 machine.

On my notebook and main desktop, I dualboot with Win7 and Kubuntu 10.10.

On the windows side, I'm able to send to the printer.

On the Kubuntu side, I'm having problems getting the exact command right for the SMB line.

I go to System Settings/Printer Configuration.

I select New Printer/ Windows Printer via SAMBA.

Then I'm supposed to add the address to the printer.

The Windows Workgroup is - SKYNET
    The Name of the computer - LIVINGROOM
    Name of the Printer is - HPLaserJet1200

So for the address I have

Code:
    smb://SKYNET/LIVINGROOM/HPLaserJet1200
    But it's not correct, because nothing ever prints. I previously had this working, but since I changed the windows workgroup and computer name, I can't get the correct address.

Thanks!

Re: How to Connect to a Windows Printer?

Try clicking on "Find Network Printer" and put the IP address of the windows machine where it says "Host" then click "Find".

Comment

Is this a separate option somewhere? All I have is "new network printer", and no option for adding a host.

Comment

I apologize. I'm using the Ubuntu Printer Utility, not the Kubuntu one. Open localhost:631 in a browser and use the cups interface instead. Click on Administration >Find New Printers and see if CUPS finds the printer.

Comment

Negative, no printers found.

interesting interface though..

Comment

Yes, it gives you a lot more control over all aspects of the printing system. If you click on "Add Printer" you should be able to work it out from there. I don't have any windows computers with shared printers at this time, so it's a little hard for me remember what I did but I do know that all of my computers on the network have static IP addresses and this simplified things immensely. I think I entered something like ipp://(IP address of the windows computer/(printer share name) and it worked.

Comment

Success!

Turns out it was the windows computer that was the problem. Earlier I renamed the printer on the windows computer, and in the settings, Vista defaulted the name of the printer back to the factory name (complete with spaces).

So when I was trying to connect to it using my name I gave it (with no spaces), Linux never found it.

Once I matched up the names, both the linux desktop and notebook both found, and printed to it.

Still considering buying a print server and getting the windows computer out of the equation.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] How to Connect to a Windows Printer?

I recently solved the problem by buying a wireless network printer..

Comment

Working...
                X