This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brother HL-2270DW printer and duplex printing

I recently bought this printer. I used a Windows Vista system to configure it initially (required by their setup utility), and get it connected to my wireless router. Once it was connected, Kubuntu had no difficulty finding the network printer and setting it up, and it works almost perfectly.

The one problem I'm having is this: the printer prints duplex, regardless of whether the duplex printing option is enabled or disabled. I can change the setting, and it sticks, but when I send a print job from any application, it duplexes it, no matter what.

Under Windows, I can turn off duplex printing, and it will actually print non-duplexed.

Based on the first response I got from Brother, I downloaded the Linux printer installation tool from their website.

This installation tool incorrectly identifies the printer as DCP1000, and installed it as a second printer, alongside the manually-configured, functional entry. The printer configuration screen for the DCP1000 does not have the duplex setting.

Brother insists that this is a Linux problem. They cannot reproduce the problem at their end, and they have no apparent interest in continuing to help me troubleshoot the issue. I thought I might find some help here.

The bottom line is, there are two problems here:

1. When the printer is correctly installed under Linux, the duplex
    control does not work.
    2. The Linux printer installer tool from Brother does not
    correctly identify the printer, even if it is already correctly
    installed.
    3. If I could fix problem 1, I don't care about problem 2.

Has anyone seen this, or does anyone have an idea what might be wrong, if not a driver issue?
    I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Re: Brother HL-2270DW printer and duplex printing

My problem was the opposite. I set Kubuntu (10.10 64bit) to always duplex by default and I can override it if I need to but I set Windows to also do Duplex by default but I always have to select Duplex manually if I want duplex. Windows always does single by default no matter how I set the default behavior.

For clarity, I have Duplex set through the web interface and if I have Duplex set to <on> or <ignore> in the print driver on (k)ubuntu, it prints in duplex but if I have it set to <off> in the Print driver, it does not. (Check what your web interface has this set to by entering the IP address of your printer in a browser).

But now their is a firmware update and I hope that helps. (Not yet installed).

I did set up my printer and the Wi-Fi on Linux first by using an Ethernet cable and the web tool (so I never used the software to do the initial setup).

NEW PROBLEM:
    Cannot get the driver loaded on Ubuntu 11.04 64bit. What gives?

Comment

Working...
    X