X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel 915 and desktop effects

Hi

I'm running a dell 630m laptop with an intel 915 graphics card. Unfortunately desktop effects don't seem to work at all any more. Whenever I try to enable them they work a first but then following a reboot they are suspended. Upon attempting to resume I get the message that they have been suspended by another application.

I am aware that the kde devs were considering disabling desktop effects on some cards (including intel).

Is anyone else using this card experiencing this issue?

Thanks

Re: Intel 915 and desktop effects

hi,

I use an Acer aspire Intel GMA4500MHD card and I get the same issue, the application has been suspended by another application.
    can anyone help me.

thanks.

Comment

Verify that you have the package mesa-utils installed. This brings in dri libraries and support. I found with my Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller this was required before Desktop Effects could be enabled.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Interesting. There is also a 3d configuration tool specifically for these cards in the repos. I have installed it.

Also installed mesa-utils. Funny I thought that was installed by default.

Less funny is the result of running glx gears. It reports a peak of 45fps. Also, when I try to enable desktop effects the error message I get is that it's too slow and desktop effects are disabled. I actually thought my desktop felt a bit sluggish since upgrading to maverick. Quite how slow I didn't realise until now.

Comment

I have the mesa-utils installed when I checked the synaptic, however as per the suggestions in other forums I disabled the "disable functionality checks" which allows the kwin to be loaded without trouble at startup. I also checked the glxgears which gives me a maximum of 59FPS, and I recognize that the graphics is relatively slow after upgrading to Maverick. but disabling the functionality checks have made a considerable change to the performance I think

thanks,

Comment

My grandson has an old Toshiba S127 laptop that has the i915 graphics system.

Try the kernel directive i915.modeset=1.

I have to change this in the grub.conf every time the kernel is updated, otherwise the screen freezes at boot.

But with the KMS set to i915, I do get all desktop Effects with this machine.

This may help.

Comment

I found a solution on this page: http://skitterman.wordpress.com/2010...untu-maverick/

You need to make edits to ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc under the sections [Blacklist][Blur], [Blacklist][Lanczos], and to the line OpenGLIsUnsafe=true (change to false).

Good luck!

Here is the relevant information:

hsantanna October 13, 2010 at 14:43

You have to edit ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc

At the lines [Blacklist][Blur] and [Blacklist][Lanczos] you have to add your GPU.

This will disable the advanced features that those bugged drivers don’t support.

To know what you have to add (driver description), paste this on terminal:

echo “`glxinfo | grep ‘OpenGL renderer string’ | sed -e ‘s/^.*: //’`:-:`glxinfo | grep ‘OpenGL version string’ | sed -e ‘s/^.*: //’`”

The result is something like this:

Mesa DRI R600 (RV710 9555) 20090101 TCL DRI2:-:2.1 Mesa 7.10-devel

Copy and paste the entire line.

In my case, I have 2 graphics cards Intel/ATI (switchable)

I added both at ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc

with resulted on this:

[Blacklist][Blur]
              Advanced Micro Devices=DRI R600:-:7.8.1,DRI R600:-:7.8.2,Mesa DRI R600 (RV710 9555) 20090101 TCL DRI2:-:2.1 Mesa 7.10-devel
              Ati=Radeon HD 3650:-:3.3.9901
              NVIDIA=GeForce 6150/PCI/SSE2:-:195

[Blacklist][Lanczos]
              Advanced Micro Devices=DRI R600:-:7.8.1,DRI R600:-:7.8.2,Mesa DRI R600 (RV710 9555) 20090101 TCL DRI2:-:2.1 Mesa 7.10-devel
              Intel=GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20100328:-:7.8.2,GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20091221:-:7.7.1,965GM GEM 20100328 2010Q1:-:7.8.2,965GM GEM 20091221 2009Q4:-:7.7.1,Ironlake Mobile GEM 20100328:-:7.8.2,Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT :-:2.1 Mesa 7.10-devel

Note that already was some drivers there before I added mine.

If you do this, everything will work pretty much well.

Both, my Intel Arrandale (from i5) and my Radeon Mobility HD 4550 are working good with almost all effects enabled.
              (There are one or another that cause problems so i disabled those.)

Ah, I have to say that if you can’t enable effects anymore because the option is disabled on KDE, you have also to edit ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc and change OpenGLIsUnsafe=true to false.

Comment

Working...
              X