This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sound card not recognised in Maverick

How, exactly, did you do the upgrade? It obviously didn't successfully complete.

You also need to check /etc/apt/sources.list.d
    That is being used as well as sources.list, and there may be lucid repositories in there.
    Still, that shouldn't be zapping the system version.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I guess it did complete. I already mentioned that all files in /etc/apt/sources.list ARE maverick.
      In another thread (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114189.0) this 'upgrade' thingy has been solved. It has been upgraded, there was just a relic in /etc/motd.tail.
      I did the upgrade the very usual and advertised way: System Settings->Software Management->Software Updates.

Could you compare your alsa and pulseaudio files, and tell me which creates/created those files mentioned?

Comment

Code:
        $ dpkg-query --search /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
        alsa-base: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

$ dpkg-query --search asoundrc
        libasound2: /usr/share/doc/libasound2/examples/asoundrc.txt.gz
        The last bit is not all that strange. If the files were created by a post-installation script, then they wouldn't show up in dpkg-query. So you might not be able to find who/what created (or failed to create) /etc/asound.conf, at least not this way. If there is some other way, let me know and I'll run it.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Just for completeness:
          I went to work today (it's a Monday!) and found my laptop at work to behave identical. It has a somewhat different install, different packages, is a laptop,

$ arecord -l
          **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
          card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
          Subdevices: 1/1
          Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
          card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
          Subdevices: 0/1

very different audio chips.
          Neither of the files you mentioned are here, as well.
          And padevchooser hangs identical.

Uwe

Comment

Same thing happened here. Last night my audiocard was fine and dandy, this morning - nothing.

sudo lshw gives this kind of label to the card:

*-multimedia UNCLAIMED
            description: Multimedia audio controller
            product: VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller
            vendor: VIA Technologies Inc.
            physical id: 0
            bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
            version: 01
            width: 32 bits
            clock: 33MHz
            capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
            configuration: latency=64
            resources: ioport:ec00(size=32) ioport:e880(size=128)

I don't know what has happened, but I just recently went through a linuxaudio hell, when I had to try and get my WINE audio back, I uninstalled pulseaudio and went with ALSA (and it worked very well after many restarts). But now, the card seems dead? It works fine in Windows side ...

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Fixed with

$ sudo modprobe snd-ice1724

I'd like to know what broke it in the first place ...
            www.behance.net/Loadus

Comment

I know, I know ... it is getting boring.
              Now on the third machine, and the same, padevchooser hangs.
              At first, I thought it had to make with me running without any panel, and the padevchooser hanging on a panel. So I added a panel. Same thing, but no device popping up on the panel. Next, starting with Lancelot. Yep, padevchooser was found with 'Search' and run. The applet on the taskbar started to turn and turn and turn, until it disappeared after a minute or two. Since this only happens when it cannot start, I can assume safely that padevchooser simply does *not* start. Since it is the third box, of yet a different type, I think we can safely assume that it simply won't start anywhere, normally.

Comment

Fishing for ideas here:

cat /proc/asound/cards
                lsmod | grep snd
                look for snd_hda_intel

I don't understand why you are missing the alsa configuration files:

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
                /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
                ~/.asoundrc
                ~/.asoundrc.asoundconf

If you are missing those files, then you need to file a bug report against alsa on launchpad, and maybe one of the developers can figure out why those files aren't there. The only other possibility is that they have hardcoded that information somewhere in Maverick, in which case a developer could tell you that. I can tell you that those files do work on my system, and modifying them does change alsa's behavior, so I think they have to be there for sound to work.

Padevchooser should not hang. Try running it from konsole and see if you get any error messages. Have you tried running alsamixer and amixer from the konsole?

Also take a look at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1153133
                keeping in mind that this is for ubuntu/gnome and an older version of the OS, but the info about how to debug the problem may still be valid. Don't recompile alsa from non-ubuntu sources except as a last resort, as it may have been modified by ubuntu, and a non-ubuntu version may break things worse.

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                  @udippel:

I'm not sure what is messed up, there are several things to check.

padevchooser > Manager > Devices
                  Your card should be listed under Sources, along with a description.
                  Now padevchooser > Volume Control > Input Devices
                  Make sure the bottom box says "All input devices"
                  Are you saying the mute button and volume control settings do not silence your input?
                  After some most recent upgrades, padevchooser works (again), by being placed in the sys tray.

Here the report (on how it does not work consistently):
                  padevchooser > Manager > Devices leads to
                  alsa_output. pci-0000_00_07.0.analog-surround-5.1-monitor
                  Which is what I had *selected* (see this thread further up not what arecord -l gives me:
                  $ arecord -l
                  **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
                  card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
                  card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
                  card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 2: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]

padevchooser > Volume Control > Input Devices
                  gives exactly what pavucontrol gave me some days ago. (Actually, it looks like padevchooser simply called pavucontrol).
                  And there is no way to shut down any input channel, neither with 'mute' nor anything else.
                  (Though I think it has nothing to do with the controls, neither mute. I am quite convinced that all would work, if only pulseaudio could recognise the actual audio card, as arecord does. And not just taking some generic card )

Comment

Working...
                  X