Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have the problems with ati radeon x300 been fixed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have the problems with ati radeon x300 been fixed?

Hello every one,
    I installed both kde 4.5 aand then 10.10 when It was in the alpha/beta phase and both times the desktop effects kept on crashing and compositing was suspended. I had a quick look around before I re-installed 10.04 and found that there were issues with a few older graphics cards my own included! Does any one know about this and also if the problems have been corrected? I dont really want to install again to have the same problems!
    cheers
    Liam

Re: Have the problems with ati radeon x300 been fixed?

Depends on your CLI abilities and the difference between the Jaunty and Lucid or Maverick Kernels.

This link explains how "... you can always downgrade xserver from 1.6.x to 1.5.x, install ATI's Catalyst 9.3 drivers and pin/hold those packages either in /etc/apt/preferences, synaptic or whichever program/gui you use to manage your packages. "

While that worked in Jaunty I'd make no guarantees it would work in Lucid or Maverick.

Then, there is this method using envy. Seems to be easier than the method above.

And, finally, this method, which uses the standard open source radeon driver.
    Accelerated 3D support (r300, r400 and r500 series)

All these cards and derivatives have good 3D acceleration support

9500 / R300 based cards
    9600 / rv350 or rv360 based cards
    9700 / R300 based cards
    9800 / R350 or R360 based cards
    X300 / rv370 based cards
    Take your pick. Good luck.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: Have the problems with ati radeon x300 been fixed?

I havent had a single problem with karmic, but as soon as I tried kde4.5 I started to have the problems! I will have a go when I get back home in a few weeks and see how it goes this time! I will post up what happens so other can see
      thanks
      liam
      so envy doesnt work from 10.04 onwards, it says to use jockey instead but that doesnt present me with the possibility of installing an new drivers!

Comment

Working...
      X