Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Canon PIXMA MP540 is being recognised, but won't print...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Canon PIXMA MP540 is being recognised, but won't print...

After installing Maverick, I added my Canon MP540 (USB) and tried to print. Everything seems to be in working order, but my printer won't print anything. Any suggestions?

Re: Canon PIXMA MP540 is being recognised, but won't print...

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3104415.0
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yeah, I know I posted that myself, but for some stupid reason that doesn't seem to work any more...

Comment

OK, when following those instructions, the system tells me that libcupsys2 has been replaced with libcups2, which is the newer package.
        However, when trying to install the printer driver packages through dpkg, they keep nagging about libcupsys2. How can I tell those packages that there is a more recent package?!?

Comment

I was bitten by the same problem on my Debian system with a Canon PIXMA printer and third party driver -- there is a transition away from the cupsys package in progress, and older/third party drivers may still have a cupsys or libcupsys dependency built in.

There's a so-called "virtual" libcupsys2 package in the 10.04 repo, but you can't actually download or install it, so it won't satisfy your driver installer. The latest real version of it that I can find is all the way back in Hardy. It has some dependencies that I'm pretty sure will break your system.

You might try installing your .deb driver with the "--force-all" option. It's not pretty, and in my case dpkg was rendered non-functional until I removed the driver. But, while it was installed, I could print. YMMV. Be careful -- protect your important data before you try stuff like this. :P

EDIT: There's a libcupsys2 "transitional" package in the Debian Lenny repo, ver. 1.3.8-1, that in itself should not hurt your system in any way. It has a cups dependency that you need to review, and compare to the version of cups installed on your system. If the version of cups on your system is newer than the dependent version listed in Lenny, you may be able to work around your issue by installing the libcupsys2 package from that repo, and then running your driver installation. Fair warning -- you also may find yourself reinstalling Kubuntu tomorrow, if you try this.

Comment

Would a DPP file help? IS there a DPP file for the Canon MP540 anyway?!?

Comment

Originally posted by hansdevr
              Would a DPP file help?
              Not as far as I know. However, speaking of Windows software applications, one thing you could do, if you have a Windows installation CD, is to install VirtualBox or VMware Player, and set up a Windows VM. Then, the standard Canon driver would let you print and scan to that machine (from Windows on the VM).

IS there a DPP file for the Canon MP540 anyway?!?
              Not according to Google.

Comment

Praise Jeebus!! A miracle has happened!!

I tried the untried: I unplugged the USB connection of my MP540, just for laughs... Then I deleted the default printer.. THen I plugged the USB connection again, and lo and behold!! Kubuntu told me it was installing a new printer and when I checked in the system settings, it was the MP540, series 3... And it works!!!

As happy as I am, I still would like an explanation....

Comment

Working...
                X