This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I upgrade to 10.10?

I love 10.04. Currently, I have everything tweaked to just the way I like it. I have not, however, upgraded to KDE 4.5 and now I'm wondering from the folks that have been doing the pre-release testing: is 10.10 ready to roll?
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Re: Should I upgrade to 10.10?

I would say "No". The video corrupting with OpenGL compositing on is unbearable. It's usable but only if you don't mind things like menus not rendering and page refreshes being necessary every 5 or 10 minutes due to corruption. At least this is true on my Intel 945GM.

Also, you can upgrade to KDE 4.5.1 by enabling the backports repository. Candidly, I wish I had no upgraded. There's a change these things are fixed in the final, but I doubt it.

Comment

No. I only upgraded to 10.10 so I could get KDE 4.5.2 and now I wish I hadn't. kubuntu 10.04 with kde 4.5.1 was as smooth as silk but now I get a few problems:
      1) Can't get a kdm menu when I logout of KDE
      2) Video repainting problems
      3) A small memory leak but I haven't identified the source yet
      4) login and logout sounds get truncated. I think this is caused by pulseaudio

Having said that, the system is still fairly usable just not as nice as 10.04.

Comment

I've had Maverick running under VBox for over a month now.

I would say no as well.

Lucid is an LTS release (3 years), Maverick is not.

Maverick's kernel is not compatible with VBox's Additions, so you can't get out of 800X600 video mode until Oracle updates it to handle the new kernel. Who knows how long that will be, if ever.

Maverick binds Phonon more tightly to KDE, making it impossible to access audio controls which are visible under Lucid. All one ends up with on ICH9 audio are a volume and capture slider. One can still use alsamixer to run "Digital" or "PCM" up so various audio outputs can be heard, but not from KMixer with Phonon. oss-compat is gutted and no longer works around the "/dev/dsp not found" error, so several audio/video recording capabilities are without sound. One can NOT remove key Phonon libraries without removing the whole desktop. There is a dpkg command to remove a package but none of its dependencies, but I don't remember it. Maybe someone will chime in with it.

KPackageKit is as terrible as usual, but Synaptic is the workaround there (or Muon, if you don't want all the gtk stuff in your libraries, but then you shouldn't use FireFox or VLC, etc..., though Muon needs some work yet, it is much better than KPackageKit).

Maverick has KDE 4.5.1 but one can use the PPA backports and update to that desktop will no problems.

IMO, Lucid with KDE 5.4.1 is the best Linux distro/desktop combination I have ever used. I don't plan switching off of it for three years. That's a computer generation. By then who knows what the landscape will look like then.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Just the answer I was looking for, GG. I think I'll make the jump to KDE 4.5.1 it's time!
          Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
          Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
          Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

I have my Maverick on a test HD and it has been behaving nicely so far.
            It is noticeably snappier than LL kde4.5.1.

Never could get it installed as a vmware guest.

With my old video card I am not worried about 3D so that is turned off most of the time.

I got sound working normally again by uninstalling pulse audio and add a few alsa things.

I set my login / logout sounds my self from a kde-sound file.

CD / amarok, video, skype and audacity work perfectly.

I also have a mem leak but I think that has to do with nepomuk/strigi resp. akonadi.
            They are not quite finished yet and probably won't be for a while.

Is it ready for prime time? Not sure yet, for me it works fine.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by drooghead
              No. I only upgraded to 10.10 so I could get KDE 4.5.2 and now I wish I hadn't. kubuntu 10.04 with kde 4.5.1 was as smooth as silk but now I get a few problems:
              1) Can't get a kdm menu when I logout of KDE
              2) Video repainting problems
              3) A small memory leak but I haven't identified the source yet
              4) login and logout sounds get truncated. I think this is caused by pulseaudio

Having said that, the system is still fairly usable just not as nice as 10.04.
              I'm getting all the same problems as you except that I haven't noticed (3), but I haven't been paying attention to memory usage either. To add another, Skype with pulseaudio gives a lot of crackly feedback.

Comment

I upgraded my Wubi installed 10.04 to 10.10 yesterday without a single hitch, I always dist upgrade using apt and cli. I'm no power user and mainly use my system for multimedia and the like. I can even use my MS VX1000 webcam (both video & Mic) in Skype, had to patch though (http://www.kyleabaker.com/downloads/...h-20100712.zip) but this alone means I do not have to boot into windows when my daughters skype me from university.

I'm one of the few that has continued to use KPakageKit as I try to keep my system as KDE as possible, and I must admit I find the updated version in 10.10 much more user friendly. The Kmix situation does seem a bit daft although no deal breaker for me as I've always used alsamixer and this works as normal.

I found this upgrade the most painless Kubuntu upgrade but of course we all have different hardware and it just seems to work very well on mine.

Anyway IMHO 10.04 is a very good LTS and if you are looking for a long term rock steady system you wont go wrong sticking to it, however if like me you always wan't the latest and greatest go for it.

ps. I only ever have one version on my system, I know it's living a bit close to the edge, by hey life is full of danger.

Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
                  I love 10.04. Currently, I have everything tweaked to just the way I like it. I have not, however, upgraded to KDE 4.5 and now I'm wondering from the folks that have been doing the pre-release testing: is 10.10 ready to roll?
                  I've been using Maverick pre-release versions for some time already and had no noteworthy problems.
                  I've done a clean install with 10.10, and it's working fine.
                  Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    Maverick's kernel is not compatible with VBox's Additions, so you can't get out of 800X600 video mode until Oracle updates it to handle the new kernel. Who knows how long that will be, if ever.
                    It's actually been fixed for over a month. Download the 3.2.9 guest addtions: http://www.virtualbox.org/download/t....2.9-66155.iso, install them in the host, and it works fine again.

During the installation of the VirtualBox guest additions, the guests screen may go wonky, but you can fix that by using RightCtrl+F1 to switch to tty1 and then RightCtrl+F7 to jump back to the desktop. It's a known issue and will be fixed in the final VirtualBox 3.2.10 release.

I've been using 10.10 on my main desktop for a while now (gtx465 w/nvidia-current drivers), and everything is working perfectly.
                    Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1
                      It's actually been fixed for over a month. Download the 3.2.9 guest addtions: http://www.virtualbox.org/download/t....2.9-66155.iso, install them in the host, and it works fine again.
                      Wasn't aware of that. The version upgrade check button said there were no new versions.

I installed that testcase iso and it worked well. Thanks for the info.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

And really, has anyone actually used the new (as in since the RC) KpackageKit?

Sorry, but it simply can't be called garbage anymore. Although we set the auto-update checking interval to 1 week for some reason, which I find odd.

Comment

Yes. While using my Maverick guest OS. I wanted to use it to install cheese (IIRC), and in the process check out any improvements. I did a search but KPackageKit couldn't find it, or even a piece of its name. I clicked on the Mulitmedia icon and it displayed ... NOTHING! So, I opened a Konsole and used apt-get to install synaptic. It found cheese immediately and I installed it. (Ya, I know, I could have used apt-get for synaptic too, but Synaptic's search algorithm allows me to not have to know the exact name of a package in order to find it, nor do I have to use apt search app.

Also, I dislike KPackageKit's GUI design, but that is another issue. I preferred PackageKit's design.

I leave KPackageKit installed because it does work well with the automatic updates, if the number of updates is less than a couple dozen. I've never had it work well when the number of updates were over a hundred. It has always failed and forced me to use apt-get and dpkg to recover and complete the upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                          X