Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hibernation is slow. Resuming is as quick as ever but hibernating is wrecked :/

In 10.4, every single time I hibernated the machine, it goes down in about 15 seconds. This is with several applications running (about 6 - 8). After upgrading to Kubuntu 10.10 over the net (no alternative), everything seems fine but hibernation is wrecked.

I closed all applications to test and discovered going into hibernation takes 1:10 seconds. Resuming took 16 seconds. I then rebooted and starting up is at 24 seconds. I then hibernated from a clean boot, with no apps running and it took 1:44 seconds to hibernate. Again, resuming took only 16 seconds.

In 10.4, on this exact same machine, on a daily basis, hibernation took about 15 seconds both ways. What happened? This is definitely a regression of some sort. Is there still time to fix it?

Re: Hibernation is slow. Resuming is as quick as ever but hibernating is wrecked :/

Well, slow hibernation is far better than no hibernation, right? Have you tried Suspend - it is normally faster than hibernate?

Although this thread is for 10.04, there are a number of alleged "solutions" for hibernation and suspend issues (I reviewed it from "last" and got about 4 pages into it): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...469340&page=16

Also, do you have the "quiet" and "splash" boot options, as per default installation? You might try turning them off so you can see what's going on -- you might get some hints about the source of delay.

Comment

Re: Hibernation is slow. Resuming is as quick as ever but hibernating is wrecked :/

Some hibernation is better than no hibernation but certainly this is unacceptable. Something terribly wrong is happening here. Every day for months prior to yesterday, this exact same machine before upgrade (10.4 to 10.10 yesterday) hibernated at the 15 second mark, each time, every time - give or take a second. The time to hibernate has grown 600%.

cat /proc/cmdline
      Code:
      BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-22-generic root=UUID=4fc3b475-04dd-4ed4-9c4a-842580b40bf6 ro verbose no_console_suspend nomodeset rootflags=data=writeback
      I hibernate up to twice a day so hibernation is quite important to me. Maybe not for others but for me it's a part of my daily environment. I do suspend to ram but hibernation is critical. To go from 15 seconds to 1 minute and 45 seconds is bad. Very very bad.

I booted using an older kernel "2.6.32-25-generic" and tested hibernation and hibernation is back at the fast 15 second mark. Something about the Maverick kernel is dogging this up :/

Comment

Working...
      X