Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nvidia beta driver upgrade broke my video output!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia beta driver upgrade broke my video output!!!!

the driver upgrade to nvidia version: 260.19.06 broke my X output video.
    now i have to use the nv driver

my nvidia card : 8400GS

dmesg:

Code:
    0000005 00000005
    [  19.225663] NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 53, CMDre 00000000 00000080 00000000 00000005 00000005
    [  19.225719] NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 53, CMDre 00000000 00000080 00000000 00000005 00000005
    [  19.265827] NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 53, CMDre 00000000 00000080 00000000 00000005 00000005
    [  19.265889] NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 53, CMDre 00000000 00000080 00000000 00000005 00000005
    [  25.288020] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
    [ 112.844198] mtrr: base(0xf9000000) is not aligned on a size(0xe00000) boundary
    [ 372.084738] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro,commit=0

help pleaseeeeeee

Re: nvidia beta driver upgrade broke my video output!!!!

260.19.06 is a Beta driver -- I assume you downloaded it and ran the installer?

The dmesg bit that you posted does not demonstrate that there's a problem, although I wonder why /dev/sda1 needed to be re-mounted. I would advise running fsck on that filesystem ASAP. After you do that, review this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0

Re-install 260.19.06 following that guide, and then if there is some problem, post the lines from /var/log/Xorg.0.log that start with "[EE]".

260.19.06 runs my GTX260 very well, and should run that 8400GS just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      260.19.06 is a Beta driver -- I assume you downloaded it and ran the installer?
      Nop, this is a maverik upgrade. Why kubutu upgrade nvidia drivers to a beta version?

Comment

I'm surprised at the notion that upgrading to Maverick resulted in installation of a new Nvidia driver -- I have not seen any other reports of such a problem. Did you choose it through "System>Additional Drivers"? How did you do the upgrade?

I'm running the 260.19.06 driver, but I installed it from the downloaded Nvidia package. I don't know of any reason why it should not work on your 8400GS, but you will have to remove the nouveau driver as explained in my guide, possibly including updating the initramfs.

Comment

I've just upgraded using kpackagekit, like always. Reboot the machine but the video output from X11 failed!.

So i just removed all the nvidia, nv, nouveau , etc ,drivers, .Then i downloaded the 256.53 version from the nvidia web, and now i have video output again. The 260.19* version doesn't works for me

Comment

You need to be sure to blacklist the nouveau driver in /etc/modprobe.d, otherwise every time a kernel upgrade occurs, it will reinstall nouveau, which will make running the nvidia driver impossible until you delete it, and run an update initramfs -u.

In Maverick, if you install nvidia-common, you will get the 260.19.06 driver, and kernel upgrades won't kill it, provided you have blacklisted nouveau.

If you are using the downloaded driver, kernel upgrades will whack it, because each new version of the kernel needs an nvidia.ko built specifically for it. So you will have to reinstall.
            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd

In Maverick, if you install nvidia-common, you will get the 260.19.06 driver
              Aha -- the "full-upgrade" process must have brought it in, based on the prior version's configuration. Good catch, DD!

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                You need to be sure to blacklist the nouveau driver in /etc/modprobe.d, otherwise every time a kernel upgrade occurs, it will reinstall nouveau, which will make running the nvidia driver impossible until you delete it, and run an update initramfs -u.

In Maverick, if you install nvidia-common, you will get the 260.19.06 driver, and kernel upgrades won't kill it, provided you have blacklisted nouveau.

If you are using the downloaded driver, kernel upgrades will whack it, because each new version of the kernel needs an nvidia.ko built specifically for it. So you will have to reinstall.
                It didn't work neither

Comment

Sorry folks,but due to this i've switched to opensuse. I can't understand why a distribution put on my system a proprietary beta driver that broke my video output. I couldn't even install the (yet incomplete) nouveau driver.

I am a kde user first than a kubuntu user.

Comment

Originally posted by ngativ
                    Sorry folks,but due to this i've switched to opensuse. I can't understand why a distribution put on my system a proprietary beta driver that broke my video output. I couldn't even install the (yet incomplete) nouveau driver.

I am a kde user first than a kubuntu user.
                    It's idiotic to change the distro just because nvidia programmed a crappy driver that doesn't work properly
                    Complain to nvidia about their crappy driver, not to Kubuntu which has no part in its programming.
                    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri sss
                      It's idiotic to change the distro just because nvidia programmed a crappy driver that doesn't work properly
                      Complain to nvidia about their crappy driver, not to Kubuntu which has no part in its programming.
                      I can't complain too much about nvidia since the driver that kubuntu decided to install into my system is a BETA version , without the possibility to even downgrade the driver to the previous 256 stable version. And i don't want to reinstall the Nvidia driver by hand every time that kubuntu upgrades the kernel.

Besides, this is the first time ever that a i had this kind of problem with the nvidia driver. I had been using linux since 2002, using mostly nvidia cards with their respective nvidia drivers, under mandrake, fedora and kubuntu.

So!... is very idiotic to install a restricted beta driver instead. I will ask in the nvidia forums about this issue and not here anymore, since this is not the right place for that!.

To the kubuntu developers, please!!! don't put me in the bleeding edge if i am gonna to bleed because of this , ok?.

Now im running opensuse kde: the install cd properly installed the nouveau driver with the experimental 3d feature activated by default. Awesome, it worked just fine, great frame buffer, except for the fact that this open source driver is not complete: the composite kwin effects doesn't works and my favorite game (lugaru) have some weird glitches. I really want those programs working properly on my system so i'd istalled the last stable nvidia driver, because there's not beta version available in opensuse (although im gonna miss some nouveau features that i liked ).

Anyway, maybe im the only one with this problem, but despite that, this is a really bad decision to put in to stable disitro a restricted beta driver, a really bad one!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X