This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Thunderbird issue in 10.10

Once I installed 10.10 I don't remember Thunderbird doing this and then this morning it seems to have started. Thought it a regression but all configs are as they should. The issue, when I click on an HTTP link in an e-mail Thunderbird uses Konqueror instead of FireFox. In Thunderbird it is told to use FireFox. Verified that with the GUI and by looking at preferences.js. It says FireFox from the correct start location. I've also verified through System Settings the default application is set to Firefox. For the life of me I can not figure why it is using Konqueror. Anyone else? Any direction I can be pointed? Thanks!

Re: Unusual Thunderbird issue in 10.10

You did check Edit > Preferences > Attachments and make sure http and https are set to firefox?

Are you using thunderbird from the repository, or downloaded? I am using the downloaded version, and it's working fine.

I also notice there is a "thunderbird-gnome-support" extension in the repository -- if you are using that, it might be picking up konqueror from update-alternatives or the default kde browser.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Strange. I didn't get an e-mail about your response. Glad I checked. Yep, I've checked all of that and still does the wrong browser. Yes it is from the repos. I can say the version I use from the repos for 10.04 does not do that. As a matter of fact, it doesn't have entries for HTTP. Might try removing those entries and see what happens. I'll also check to make sure I didn't accidentally install "thunderbird-gnome-support". Thanks for some direction there.

Comment

Hi MoonRise

Following a clean install when I first clicked on an http link in t'bird and again when I clicked on an https link I was asked what program I wanted to use.

The application link I had to use was /usr/lib/firefox3.6.10/firefox. Perhaps the reference to simply "firefox" is throwing things out for you?

Comment

Thing is about that and even though this is a fresh install of 10.10, it picks up from my /home partition so it never really knows that it is freshly installed just upgraded. I've compared that one to the settings on my laptop which is still the version associated with 10.04 and they are identical but the 10.10 version still wants to open Konqueror. Really strange. I'm @ a loss on this one. I wish there was a way to rename the current folder and have ThunderBird start over and import all from the renamed folder.

Comment

Is firefox the default web browser for all websites according to KDE? Or is it konqueror? Sometimes KDE gets involved in situations like this one.
            Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
            Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I had this issue a while back. If you rename your profile and create a new one you can do the following (my apologies if you already know these):

1. Address book can simply be copied from an old profile to the new one. I recommend as a backup you export as ldif before changing the profile so you can import if need be.

2. Mail folders can simply be copied to the new profile from the old one. In server settings assign the path to the files for each account (edit /account settings/server settings)

3. Are you using lightning calendar? I'm not sure whether the calendar-data within the profile will transport, so right click on the calendar name within lightning and export as ics. If the transplant doesn't work you can always import that file.

You'll have to install a new lightning extension/themes etc but everything should be up and running very quickly. T'Bird even searches for your e-mail account name and auto-connects. Connection to FF should also be automatic. Was for me.

HTH.

Comment

Thanks! I kind of figured that is what I had to do. Maybe later. Again thanks!

Comment

Tried that. Fresh everything. It didn't ask which browser it just opened up Konqueror. Luckily I saved the entire old Thunderbird folder to restore back. Of course I guess that would have been stupid not too! Soooooo, as of now I have no clue what is going on.

Comment

Sounds like this is something buried in one of Thunderbird's config files. Since there doesn't seem to be the about:config option that firefox has, you might want to try asking on the thunderbird forum:
                    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=39
                    Maybe someone there knows where this is locked in.
                    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

There are a couple of things you can look at in this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1136319.html

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                        Sounds like this is something buried in one of Thunderbird's config files. Since there doesn't seem to be the about:config option that firefox has, you might want to try asking on the thunderbird forum:
                        http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=39
                        Maybe someone there knows where this is locked in.
                        Actually to get to that:

Edit --> Preferences --> Advanced --> General TAB --> Config Editor...

Comment

Found another odd issue that affects both Thunderbird and FireFox. Even though the OS is Set to ENG-US and the same for Thunderbird and FireFox, spell checking for FireFox and Thunderbird seem to be using ENG-GB. Not that it is that big a deal I just would like to know WHY?!?! I don't even have ENG-GB installed!

Comment

Must confess it hasn't affected me, but then I'm British.

I found this, which looks to be the issue

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....0/+bug/333799

Is the answer to get the mozilla-build packages and install the language packs from the Mozilla website, I wonder?

Comment

Thanks! Looks to be it! But I will not go as far as one of the posters there. I'm not offended. I've used US/GB spellings interchangeably quite a bit in my life depending on my mood at the time. Center/Centre are the same to me, I just happened to notice the issue and was wondering why. It seems that maybe these packages were built with hard coded links to specific mail and dictionary forms. IMO anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X