This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no graphical update kpackagekit

It dissapeared a couple weeks ago and thought it was temporary, now i'm wondering if it's just me. refresh updates in kpackagekit is no longer there, I have to use terminal and sudo apt-get update. anyone?
    Attached Files

Re: no graphical update kpackagekit

Something was either remove (some dependency?) and/or wasn't fully installed/configured.

Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo apt-get update
    See if this doesn't help the situation.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Kpackagekit is just junk.
      Install Synaptic and use that instead:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install synaptic
      Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

snowhog, thanks for the reply, here's the output.
        Code:
        buzzmandt@buzzdev:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
        [sudo] password for buzzmandt: 
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree    
        Reading state information... Done
        0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        been without the update button for a couple weeks, figured it'd be getting fixed by now. would like to hear from others that are using maverick kubuntu

yuri:
        I agree kpackagekit is not the best thing, but it is getting better and the maverick version I was actually quite liking until i lost the ability to manually update/refresh repos. that's gotta come back
        However, having said that, I usually use terminal myself, apt-get update/apt-get upgrade (or dist-upgrade if applicable and with caution). Kpackagekit is what is used and comes default, i would like it to work at least in it's most basic form, this is testing and default packages should be tested and reported as necessary.

Comment

Verify that you (still) have the following packages installed:

update-notifier-common
          update-manager-kde
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

right-click on the white space, and you will get the option to refresh packages. I have actually spoken to KPK's developer about this issue (briefly), I plan on filing a bug report on it somewhere.

Originally posted by Yuri sss
            Kpackagekit is just junk.
            Install Synaptic and use that instead:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install synaptic
            Obviously you have not tried it recently in Maverick :P , there have been a ton of recent changes in KPK, some of which currently are Kubuntu-exclusive. It is not Junk anymore, imo. Recommending another tool is quite fine, but in this instance maybe helping the OP use the quite functional software first is a better idea?

No offense intended, but the "it's junk" bit gets kinda old :/

Comment

Have to totally agree with Claydoh...I'm running the live cd of Kubuntu 10.10 as i post this...and i've checked earlier editions of Kubuntu in the past (such as 10.04 for example) and at that time i would probably agree that it "sucked"...but the new version in 10.10 is a whole different "ball game"...i think it's now EXCELLENT...Look so much better, works so much better..like the difference between night and day...I downloaded some programs with it and it was great...very smooth, fast and no problems at all...I didn't even have any desire to add Package Manager...felt like i didn't need it at all..

Only thing is you have to make sure to check the boxes for all the software sources, that will ensure getting all the programs you would if using the package manager...once i did that, it looked like i had access to everything....

I also like the new Ubuntu fonts which are included in this release...

Though i am currently running Mint 9 KDE, i must say that i am very tempted to install the final of Kubuntu 10.10...it feels very smooth, polished and seems pretty bug free...Very VERY impressed

Comment

thanks claydoh, glad to know someone's on it.

kpackagekit in maverick is many times better than previous versions.

Comment

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=253194

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...it/+bug/648211

Comment

Working...
                  X