X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB mobile broadband modem stopped working on Maveric

Hello,
    I have a Bandluxe c278 broadband USB modem. It worked fine with 10.04, stopped working in 10.10. I tried both the widget and KNetworkManager, nothing helps. Does anyone know command line way to connect, so I can trace the problem? The GUI doesn't show any error or warning messages

Re: USB mobile broadband modem stopped working on Maverick

KNetworkManager is a flaming piece of festering garbage > (any other description would be unfitting).
    The widget is no different, as it's also based on KNetworkManager.

I can't use it either, because its Dsl support is badly broken. The Gnome Network Manager works fine for me. The solution I've come up with for myself is to install Ubuntu (so I have the Gnome Network Manager) and then install kde-full on top of it. Worked fine with Lucid, and also works fine now with Maverick.
    The only alternative would be messing around with the command line and trying to make an internet connection, but I didn't want to get my hands dirty there.
    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Re: USB mobile broadband modem stopped working on Maveric

Originally posted by elitrou
      Hello,
      I have a Bandluxe c278 broadband USB modem. It worked fine with 10.04, stopped working in 10.10. I tried both the widget and KNetworkManager, nothing helps.
      widget? Do you mean wicd?

Does anyone know command line way to connect, so I can trace the problem? The GUI doesn't show any error or warning messages
      Does the KMenu -->System --> Hardware Drivers install it? (You will have to have an ethernet cable connected between the back of your wireless (or cable modem) to your eth0 port on your PC.)

Or, when you plug it in do you get the Bandluxe Icon? If so, eject it (but leave it plugged in) so it is not seen as a mountable USB device and then open the network manager and create a new connection for it.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        Hello,
        I have a Bandluxe c278 broadband USB modem. It worked fine with 10.04, stopped working in 10.10. I tried both the widget and KNetworkManager, nothing helps.
        widget? Do you mean wicd?
        I think he meant the plasma-widget-networkmanagement (a plasma widget) and network-manager-kde (a monolithic tray application), which both use the same backend (NetworkManager)

KNetworkManager is a flaming piece of festering garbage (any other description would be unfitting). The widget is no different, as it's also based on KNetworkManager.
        That's a bit harsh. I don't use knetworkmanager (or NetworkManager), but I do know a few people who use it without issue. The main problem with NetworkManager in KDE is that the people that develop the backend (mainly RedHat) also make the gnome-applet, so it usually works more smoothly than the KDE applets (as their devs basically have to play catch-up with the backend).

The solution I've come up with for myself is to install Ubuntu (so I have the Gnome Network Manager) and then install kde-full on top of it.
        Umm...you can also install the gnome-applet in kubuntu...installing the whole ubuntu to just get the network-applet seems rather overkill'ish.

Comment

Umm...you can also install the gnome-applet in kubuntu
          That is how I did it on my laptop.

WiCD does not support Broadband sticks / embedded (yet)

Haven't tried Maverick on my laptop yet. will over the weekend.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            KNetworkManager is a flaming piece of festering garbage (any other description would be unfitting). The widget is no different, as it's also based on KNetworkManager.
            That's a bit harsh. I don't use knetworkmanager
            First defending it, then admitting you're not using that crap either?
            The Dsl support in Knetworkmanager has been completely broken ever since I switched to Linux more than a year ago, and since then no one has give the slightest damn to fix it. Judging by that, and by all the frequent complaints across various forums about Knetworkmanager not properly working with wireless and whatnot, I think my description is quite fitting.

The solution I've come up with for myself is to install Ubuntu (so I have the Gnome Network Manager) and then install kde-full on top of it.
            Umm...you can also install the gnome-applet in kubuntu...installing the whole ubuntu to just get the network-applet seems rather overkill'ish.
            No, you *can't* simply install it if you don't have an internet connection in the first place!

You can either try to install it by downloading all the required packages with Faildows and then install them manually. Been there, done that... trying to catch all dependencies... then the dependencies have dependencies themselves... then the dependencies of the dependencies have dependencies again... didn't work in the end, wasted a lot of time, and I only barely managed to keep a few last shrouds of my sanity >
            Or you could try messing around with the command line and try to connect to the internet there, but that's just as unhealthy for your sanity.
            Really, installing Ubuntu first and then installing kde-full on top of it is by far the most simple solution, and it fully preserves your sanity (ok, not fully, as you'll have to use Gnome for a bit to install kde-full, but at least it stays relatively intact )
            Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri sss
              That's a bit harsh. I don't use knetworkmanager
              First defending it, then admitting you're not using that crap either?
              I don't use women's underwear either, but not because they're crap :P

The Dsl support in Knetworkmanager has been completely broken ever since I switched to Linux more than a year ago, and since then no one has give the slightest damn to fix it.
              I'm not saying criticism isn't deserved, if that is the case (I haven't used it in a good while, so I really don't know), but I haven't yet met a developer that "doesn't give the slightest damn" to fix a problem if they are aware of it.

Really, installing Ubuntu first and then installing kde-full on top of it is by far the most simple solution, and it fully preserves your sanity
              It might be simpler in some cases, but that's assuming that:
              1. One has no other means of connecting to the internet (like public wifi)
              2. One doesn't have an ubuntu (alternative) CD to install the applet from
              3. One doesn't have another (k)ubuntu machine with which you can download the package along with dependencies by using "apt-get install -d" (I think I've seen tools to do that even Windows, though I have never used any of them)
              4. One does not know how to connect using the command line.

Of course, "simpler" and "sanity" are heavily relative terms, so I'm not going to argue with personal preferences .

Comment

Going a little off topic sorry OP! I'm one of the lucky ones using plasmoid networkmanager works for me. I've been using suse's ifup to connect from IceWM though and using that (which is basically wvdial in another color) I can add custom nameservers which is sorely missing from knetworkmanager in its last few incarnations.

Anyway kppp or wvdial could be options for the OP as well at least to get connected long enough to make further changes. Unfortunately neither is included in the default kubuntu as far as I know. Which I think is really crappy as it leaves a lot of users high an dry.

Today I'm using the "flaming piece of festering garbage". In fact I just swapped modems and didn't have to logout or anything it was detected and dialed out in a matter of seconds. Some garbage eh?

Comment

. . . Does anyone know command line way to connect, so I can trace the problem? The GUI doesn't show any error or warning messages
                  Is this still the topic?

To see if the USB device is recognized, type "lsusb"
                  To see if the network device is recognized, type "ifconfig"

Comment

Something strange is going on. I can't see anything relevant on the lsusb printout, but KNetworkManager opens the Mobile Broadband option as soon as the USB modem is connected, so I guess it is recognized somehow.
                    I'm attaching the printouts of lsusb before and after the modem is attached:
                    BEFORE:
                    eli@eli-laptop:~$ lsusb
                    Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                    Bus 005 Device 003: ID 147e:1000 Upek Biometric Touchchip/Touchstrip Fingerprint Sensor
                    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0a5c:2145 Broadcom Corp. Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate II
                    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0bdb:1900 Ericsson Business Mobile Networks BV F3507g Mobile Broadband Module
                    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 17ef:480b Lenovo
                    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                    AFTER:
                    eli@eli-laptop:~$ lsusb
                    Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                    Bus 005 Device 003: ID 147e:1000 Upek Biometric Touchchip/Touchstrip Fingerprint Sensor
                    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0a5c:2145 Broadcom Corp. Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate II
                    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                    Bus 002 Device 009: ID 1a8d:1009
                    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0bdb:1900 Ericsson Business Mobile Networks BV F3507g Mobile Broadband Module
                    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 17ef:480b Lenovo
                    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                    Notice the additional unrecognized device.

Comment

What is this?
                      Ericsson Business Mobile Networks BV F3507g Mobile Broadband Module
                      Something you have plugged into a USB port?
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Looks like its a wifi card included in thinkpads ect... that needs a kernel module to work?
                        reference: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Main_Page

Looks like there are Ubuntu modules prebuild. Hope exists?

But thats not the one he's trying to use which is Bandluxe c278 broadband USB modem.
                        I can't find much out about that one ie who made it?

If usb modeswitch has it included? BandLuxe C120, C170, C270 Yes. If not try ejecting it?

I always add a udev rule to eject to my modem on boot because I always leave it plugged in. usb modeswitch less then 1.1.4 only works when a device is plugged in so booting it isn't always usable.

Comment

Working...
                        X