This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look and feel

I've normally used Ubuntu or Fedora for Gnome and openSUSE for KDE. My past evaluations of Kubuntu have typically resulted in a "work-in-progress" assessment. However, things have changed for the better in the past eighteen months or so, and Kubuntu Maverick is beginning to look like a pretty good option.

With that in mind, I've been looking for bits and pieces that could use attention in order to make the release really attractive to the less experienced (and accordingly less committed) users that flock to Ubuntu (and Mint). Probably others have done the same, and I apologise for any duplication (which I know will be quickly pointed out to me).

For example, I understand from the development mailing list that work is already in hand to upgrade the initial boot and installation process to align it more completely with that for Ubuntu. It would be nice if that extended to the login process as well - it shouldn't really be necessary to type in a user name each time. It would be nice if a Kubuntu-specific splash screen could be developed for OpenOffice - the current Ubuntu brown clashes horribly with the spare blue-gray Kubuntu theme. Why does KPackageKit hide the authorisation dialogue (yes, I know it can be accessed from the lower panel, but surely it could have been opened on top in the first place, since nothing is going to happen until it has been completed)? Why does KNetworkManager lag behind its Gnome equivalent (it works quite well but, for example, you receive virtually no assistance in configuring a new mobile broadband connection, something with NetworkManager handles really well)? None of these are really bugs (well, the penultimate one might be, but I suspect that its priority on those grounds alone would be very low). However, fixing them would add a sense of polish to the Kubuntu installation comparable to that associated with the Main version of Ubuntu.

Finally, and more controversially, I suspect that new users probably don't want to spend much time messing with Rekonq or Kmail. Neither of these packages could really be described as "state-of-the-art" at the moment, and neither of them really interacts well with packages having similar functions on other platforms. That such is the case is implicitly conceded by the decision to include the "install Firefox" application by default. Unfortunately, that package doesn't seem to work particularly well at present, and I have usually had to access KPackageKit to get FF (and T'bird) installed. I appreciate the difficulty of getting everything on a LiveCD (and the Kubuntu daily images regularly drift over the 700MB limit already). Perhaps FF and T'Bird could be installed by default? After all, users savvy enough to really want Rekonq and Kmail will find few problems in installing them via KPackageKit.

I'm sure that other forum members have similar lists, and that many of you will not feel that my initial list has any great merit. However if we could agree on some "look and feel" priorities, we could put a coherent community proposal to the (very busy) development team.

Re: Look and feel

Just my 2.5cts worth.
    Maveric is after all still alpha, a nice one but still alpha.

The user name forgetting issue with KDM forgetting is probably part of that and is also an Issue with kde4.5 RC2.

I agree on the OOO splash idea.

"mobile-broadband-provider-info" is in the repos an (I believe) part of network manager (gnome) so if someone needs it it can be installed, I do not know if it would be installed by default (live-cd) but it is worth contemplating as more and more net-/notebooks come with a broad-band agreement from phone providers (at least here in Europe).

As for kmail / kontact, I will reserve comments until kde4.5.1 when hopefully all the akonadi sh.... has been solved, as well as very hopefully google - resources.

I still use TB with lightning because of the need to sync with google calendar & contacts, which at the moment is the only thing I don't like about Kontact.

As for FF installer, i never used it.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox
    If it doesn't work on maveric, I would think that again comes down to it being alpha.

I do agree that for the new user a functioning FF-installer with a mention there of during install would be helpful. Will it ever be default? I don't know.

Well, so much for my thoughts and welcome to the party
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by bennachie
      ...or Kmail. Neither of these packages could really be described as "state-of-the-art" at the moment
      Are there any brealing KMail changes in 4.5 in comparison with 4.4.x?

Comment

Are there any brealing KMail changes in 4.5 in comparison with 4.4.x?
        There are quite a few:

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for the ref!

Comment

+1 to the thanks for the reference.

The article is very interesting, and does help to explain why the present Kmail UI, while generally functional, feels less than exciting. Data migration into, and very importantly out of, Kmail has, in the past been, and remains, a significant weakness of the package, and it will be most interesting to see how that issue is addressed in the future.

BTW, most of the users that choose the Ubuntu or Mint main editions tend to avoid the command line at almost any cost, and I don't see much point in trying to convert them. That is one reason why I believe that testing the GUI thoroughly, and eschewing command line alternatives wherever possible, is a valid and useful activity. Personally, as an ex-Unix habitue, I'm more than willing to resort to the terminal to sort things out, and do so regularly.

Comment

I use Kontact in part because its UI is so much better for me than Evolution or Thunderbird

one thing to note is that at least for a while kdepim 4.5 does not have to be installed with KDE 4.5, the 4.4 versions will still work there and I am sure many distros will continue to do so, much as they did in the KDE2 -to 3 transition ( I think - it was so long ago memory fails me)

Comment

I suspect its going to be quite sometime before KMail 2.0 is ready for the masses, probably not till at least KDE 4.6. If Kubuntu try to make it the default when KMail 2.0 is released it will be a worse debacle than the KDE 4.0 release.

Comment

Working...
                X