Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[workaround] strange video behavior - video files play, but no video sometimes

Hi,

I'm currently testing Maveric, but I have seen this on 9.10 as well. [I haven't tried 10.04 on this laptop]

I have a laptop with the intel 945GM video chipset, and can get dual monitors to work fine, but when I use dual monitors, I can't get any video files to actual show video when the layout is left/right.

I have tried all of the video players - smplayer, kaffeine, xine, vlc, dragon, etc - and they all produce sound and work exactly like they are supposed to, with the exception of showing the actual video.

When I go back to a single monitor, video works, and if I put the screens above/below the video also works, just not in the left/right arrangement.

This is very baffling to me, and unfortunately it is very awkward for me to try to arrange one monitor on top of the other on a flat desk - physically and/or virtually.

any fix to this? or has anyone seen this before?

thanks

Re: strange video behavior - video files play, but no video sometimes

Not an answer to the question, and not a true solution to the problem. But...

Actual positioning of the monitors isn't important. Go ahead and arrange your two monitors 'side by side.' Set the dual monitor configuration to above/below and just note which one is 'top' and which one is 'bottom.' You just then have to remember that mouse navigation to get to/between the two is 'up and down.' Once the cursor appears on the 'other monitor' you can navigate that desktop normally.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: strange video behavior - video files play, but no video sometimes

Thanks for the input Snowhog. That is one thing I have tried, but I actually almost stumbled upon something to workaround this.

I was playing around and managed to crash X. When it came back up, the video worked in all dual monitor configuration modes, including left/right settings.

So today I booted up, logged in, started system settings and configured dual monitors for left/right settings. No video initially.

Then I logged out and back in [next step would have been to restart X, but didn't need to go that far] and video then did work in the left/right configuration.

For some reason there still seems to be a weird first time problem, but a quick logout and login restores it so I can do left/right, get video, and not get confused.

Comment

Re: [workaround] strange video behavior - video files play, but no video sometimes

Cool.

Well, 10.10 is "under development."
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X