This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

minor mysql and nouveau problems

On the whole, Maverick seems to be running well on my system. A couple of nit-picky problems:

1. Mysqld fails to start. The problem is in the /etc/init/mysql.conf file. Haven't really dissected it out yet, but replacing it with the mysql.conf file from lucid fixes it.

2. The nouveau kernel module appears at this point to now be a part of the kernel package. While the nouveau driver itself is much improved over what is in lucid, it is still not the quality of the proprietary driver. So I run 256.35. But, every time there is a kernel update, I have to remove the /lib/modules/2.6.35-whatever-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko module, and update-initramfs as it embeds itself in the initramfs where modprobe -r can't touch it, then reboot and reinstall the video driver (which is the normal procedure). I assume they are putting it in the kernel and initramfs to get the splash screen up faster, but it's still a pain if you don't want to use nouveau.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking
Working...
X