This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Not install SOLVED

Having problems with Ubuntu based distros recently. None want to install. See pic

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1753630/snapshot1.png

It seems that gparted isnt running within ubiquity.

Specs on system I am installin on

Gigabyte 8knxp Mobo
    P4 3.06 HT
    1 Gig Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 160gig
    Radeon 9550 AGP
    500Watt PS
    Hp 2009M 1600x900 Monitor Hooked DVI Have tryd VGA too though

Re: Can Not install

Anyone with possible answers can email me @ cavibird [at] ymail [dot] com

Added by Moderator: It is not a good idea to post your email address 'in the clear' in any forum. I've edited it so that it can't be captured by a bot.

Comment

1. Make a Parted Magic Live CD or bootable USB stick: http://partedmagic.com/download.html

2. Boot Parted Magic, and use it to do your partitioning. (Ask if you have questions on that subject.)

3. Boot your *buntu Alternate Install CD, 32-bit or 64-bit as appropriate for your hardware.

4. After the first few screens when you get to partitioning, choose "Manual".

5. Select the partition that you want for "/" and proceed with installation.

Comment

Look at the Pic. My HD is already partitioned the way I want to 13 gigs / and the rest /home. I want to install in / look at the pic to see my Dilemma

Comment

If you will make an Alternate Install CD, and follow my guidance, I will not see that pic!

Comment

I am DL the Alternative iso Now. Is there a reason I need to use the Alternative iso? I have never been a full time (or even part time) buntu user. So Im not use to seeing a "Alternative" iso

Comment

Originally posted by cavibird2005
              I am DL the Alternative iso Now. Is there a reason I need to use the Alternative iso? I have never been a full time (or even part time) buntu user. So Im not use to seeing a "Alternative" iso
              I just checked the daily live builds for 7/9 & 7/10. There are no alternate install CD's in those directories. You can download the Alpha-2 image. An alternate install disk image is available for Alpha-2. Afterwards you'll have some massive updates to run.

Should you decide to go with Alpha-2, you should run do it sooner rather than later, because packages for KDE SC 4.5 RC2 should be available in the next day or two: there is a real possible of ending up with an unuseable KDE installation, at least until all of the RC2 packages finish building and are made available for general consumption.

As for doing an "alternative install" just remember the golden rule: Take your time and read the screens. If memory serves, it's a text-based install that asks a few more questions than the regular install. Typically, if you don't know the answer or are not sure, the defaults usually work fine. But again read the screens & take your time. If you've installed *buntu before or almost any other Linux distribution, you'll be fine.

Good Luck, & let us know how it goes: good or bad.

tim

Comment

I would not necessarily recommend version 10.10 for an inexperienced user, or for a "production" installation, where reliability and stability are needed.

You can get the 10.04 Alternate Install CD image here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/10.04/

The Alternate Install uses a conventional character-mode installation routine, and does not offer a GUI desktop. So the Live CD is better for testing your hardware before installation, but the Alternate Install CD has more packages on it (since it doesn't have the Ubiquity installer and the live desktop). My experience is that Ubiquity will do things that may be "easy" for the newbie, but are not inherently desirable, such as forcing an extended partition type, and a logical partition within it, even when there weren't already 3 primary partitions on the hard drive. By doing the partitioning in advance, with a different tool, and then using the Alternate CD and just installing, you can control things, get more packages in the initial installation, and avoid goofy results that you didn't intend.

Comment

So It was like a Zenwalk/Slackware install. Pretty straight forward. It installed fine. Thx all

Comment

Working...
                  X