X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Sound in Lucid KDE4.5 Beta2 none in Maveric

Well the title says it all.

I have never had a problem with this sound card and all the usual packages are installed.

In lucid sound works fine in Maveric:
    Kmix is muted, shows "internal audio stereo", and has no channels , neither in mixer nor in configuration.

Card is:
    Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
    Any one else??

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Sound in Lucid KDE4.5 Beta2 none in Maveric

I had some issues but most of them I managed to fix by going to System Settings and changing the settings in Hardware==>Audio and Video. I made sure that the preferred (=top) audio device was my sound card on all the selections. My system also has HDMI output which seems to be preferred.

My experience with Kmix is that it only seems to matter for setting the volume.

And again, from experience make sure that your speakers are turned on and properly connected. It's one of those things that you think will never happen to you until it does.

My big annoyance now is Adobe Flash. I get video but no sound in Firefox. I removed the 64-bit plugin & installed the 32-bit package, but no joy.

tim

Comment

Thank you for that but, Been there done that.
      sys settings->Harware->audio & video:
      internal audio stereo
      No:
      Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller
      or anything else

Something else is the problem
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I did have this same exact problem... but I'm now damned if I can recall what I did to fix - I just recall it took longer than usual for me to figure out. I know that my first inclination when I run into this problem is to go into alsamixer and played with every level and mute/unmute everything.
        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Well when you remember please let me know

Alsamixer doesn't help at all, so there must be something else.
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Have you tried padevchooser? It sets the volume and default device for pulse audio. If nothing else, it'll give you some more settings to play around with.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by timek718
              Have you tried padevchooser? It sets the volume and default device for pulse audio. If nothing else, it'll give you some more settings to play around with.

tim
              Did they change the kubuntu-desktop packages to use pulseaudio? It's not on my system.
              Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                Well when you remember please let me know

Alsamixer doesn't help at all, so there must be something else.
                Are you using the nvidia video driver and a newer card? I am, and not having this particular problem, but I've seem multiple reports on launchpad that it's killing their sound (probably due to its HDMI audio output). For example: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/585586

-J

Comment

I had to completely remove pulse audio and reboot.

Now for todays updates
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                  X