• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beware of today's upgrade

After todays update I get the following issues:

- At desktop loading I get this pop up 3x:
    Password kdesudo-Please menter your password to use this device
    I remember having this a while ago on a different alph but can't remember how I got rid of it. renaming .kde does not help.

- Klipper crashes plasma without fail

Anyone else?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I don't use Klipper, but I can believe it: right-clicking on ktorrent will crash plasma if the system has been up for any amount of time.

I have not seen the kdesudo issue.... I'm suprised that renaming .kde didn't make it go away.

BTW: Druid's fix didn't work for me: It just left me with an always default-wallpaper desktop with no widgets. So, I re-enabled activities. Also, the memory bug seems to re-appear every other reboot... sometimes 3-4GB of RAM is just eaten by the system at startup. :\
      Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

+ Looks like they fixed all of the KDE desktop session saving issues in todays update!

- Looks like they broke sound horribly in the last two kernels... I'm getting tons of stuttering now.
        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Re: Beware of today's upgrade will kill kde

I updated the title to reflect todays issue:

........Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
          Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut
          Status-Informationen einlesen... Fertig
          Berechne Upgrade (Paketaktualisierung) ...Fertig
          Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:
          akonadi-kde-resource-googledata akregator amarok apport-kde apturl-kde ark
          blogilo dolphin dragonplayer gdebi-kde gwenview install-package jockey-kde
          k3b kaddressbook kanagram kate kbluetooth kcalc kde-window-manager
          kdebase-bin kdebase-runtime kdebase-workspace kdebase-workspace-bin
          kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-groupware kdepim-kresources
          kdepim-runtime kdepim-strigi-plugins kdepim-wizards kdesudo kdiamond kdm
          kfind khelpcenter4 kinfocenter klipper kmag kmahjongg kmail kmines kmix
          kmousetool kmplayer knm-runtime knotes konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole
          kontact kopete kopete-message-indicator korganizer kpackagekit kpat kppp
          krdc kreversi krfb ksnapshot ksudoku ksysguard ksystemlog ktimetracker
          ktorrent ktouch kubuntu-debug-installer kubuntu-desktop
          kubuntu-firefox-installer kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts
          kubuntu-notification-helper kvkbd kwalletmanager language-selector-qt
          libkdepim4 libkdewebkit5 libkopete4 libkwineffects1a libkworkspace4
          libmessagelist4 libplasma3 libplasmaclock4b libplasmagenericshell4
          libweather-ion4a lskat network-manager-kde okular openoffice.org-kde parley
          plasma-dataengines-addons plasma-dataengines-workspace
          plasma-dataengines-yawp plasma-desktop plasma-netbook
          plasma-scriptengine-javascript plasma-scriptengine-python
          plasma-widget-facebook plasma-widget-folderview plasma-widget-kimpanel
          plasma-widget-kubuntu-feedback plasma-widget-lancelot
          plasma-widget-message-indicator plasma-widget-quickaccess plasma-widget-yawp
          plasma-widgets-addons plasma-widgets-workspace polkit-kde-1 printer-applet
          python-kde4 quassel rekonq software-properties-kde system-config-printer-kde
          systemsettings ubufox update-manager-kde usb-creator-kde userconfig
          Die folgenden Pakete werden aktualisiert:
          binutils kdelibs-bin kdelibs5 kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins kdoctools
          libkatepartinterfaces4 libkde3support4 libkdecore5 libkdesu5 libkdeui5
          libkdnssd4 libkfile4 libkhtml5 libkimproxy4 libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4
          libkmediaplayer4 libknewstuff2-4 libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4
          libkparts4 libkpty4 libkrosscore4 libkrossui4 libktexteditor4
          libkunitconversion4 libkutils4 libnepomuk4 libnepomukquery4a libpci3
          libsolid4 libthreadweaver4 libxfont1 linux-libc-dev pciutils
          38 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 119 zu entfernen und 0 nicht aktualisiert.
          Es müssen 16.4MB an Archiven heruntergeladen werden.
          Nach dieser Operation werden 255MB Plattenplatz freigegeben.
          Möchten Sie fortfahren [J/n]?
          As you can see it wants to remove KDE completely (well, more than less) om my machine.
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The upgrade from KDE SC 4.5 RC1 to RC2 is in process. Consequently, RC1 packages can be upgraded to RC2 but not all RC1 packages can be upgraded at this time. Ideally you should wait until all the RC1 packages have their RC2 equivalents available. Otherwise, annoyances ensue.

YMMV, I have found that waiting a day or two is sufficient. If many packages (70+) are to be upgraded & none to be held back & none to removed (or at worst 2 or 3**), then it is probably safe to upgrade. Also if for some reason you upgrade then, and KDE won't start, you can boot to the command line with networking and run apt-get, assuming that you are not using a wireless internet connection.

** Look and see if packages similar to the ones being removed are to be installed.

Comment

I learned that the hard way long ago

I just wanted to warn people.

Funny that kde4.5 rc2 updates on lucid just fine
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                I learned that the hard way long ago

I just wanted to warn people.

Funny that kde4.5 rc2 updates on lucid just fine
                I think this is one of those things that almost everyone learns the hardway. BTW, why does learning from experience always seem to mean learning from bad experiences?

Comment

Seems to be good now, I did an upgrade on a 10.10 VM that didn't remove anything.

Somewhat annoyingly, konqueror remains at RC1

Comment

I think this is one of those things that almost everyone learns the hardway. Wink BTW, why does learning from experience always seem to mean learning from bad experiences?
                    Wow, philosophical
                    Maybe it is because bad experiences make one think more (at least they should).

@Blackpaw: I am updating now, but they are different updates than yesterday. Hmm... will wait & see

Edit:
                    fintanmaveric@fintanws2:~$ kde4-config --version
                    Qt: 4.7.0
                    KDE: 4.4.92 (KDE 4.4.92 (KDE 4.5 RC2))
                    kde4-config: 1.0
                    fintanmaveric@fintanws2:~$
                    Yes Konqueror is RC1 but the default browser is now called rekonq (webkit based) and pretty neat
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                      Yes Konqueror is RC1 but the default browser is now called rekonq (webkit based) and pretty neat
                      I like rekonq but I prefer konqueror and currently all QT 4.7 webkit based browsers have big problems with flash on 64bit

That might be fixed for the latest RC of course.

Comment

It appears the latest updates have brought konqueror up to RC2 as well. I'm a happy camper, no real bugs now for me. Kontact & Konqueror are working really smoothly, I find the 4.5 interface to be even slicker, a real pleasure to use.

I've replaced Amarok with Clementine and am much happier with that as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X