X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smb4k will not mount shares

smb4k will not mount shares, period.
    It also does not display the ip addresses of the pcs it finds except the pc I'm on and that ip is the one for the virtualbox interface, not the real net I'm on.

I can mount shares manually using:
    sudo mount -t cifs -o username=(myusername),password=(mypassword) //(Server address)/(Sharename) ~/smb4k/(mointpoint).

I cannot manually mount shares by hostname as I get a message complaining that the hostname cannot be resolved to an ip address. If I could solve this particular bit I wouldn't mind mounting manually as I can always write a script to do it.

I use this notebook on a couple of different networks and always having to type in the ip address of the host pc is very inconvenient.
    Dolphin sees the network pcs and displays them by name but shares cannot be mounted through dolphin. I tried nautilus but it's the same story there as with smb4k. Cannot mount shares in the convenient manner that smb4k used to allow.

What has happened to smb4k and has anyone else had this issue and/or fixed it?
    TIA

It seems nmblookup does work at the cli, but even though smb4k is configured to use it to determine the ip addresses of the workgroup pcs, it doesn't work within smb4k.
    I had to list the ips and names of all workgroup pcs in my hosts file and delete ~/.kde/share/config/smb4krc before smb4k would find and mount shares.
    BTW, for all who may be interested, smb4k added entries to the /etc/sudoers file but left them commented out. I had to remove the comment (#) from the lines it added. Also checked the boxes in smb4k's configuration for the super user and added my username and password to the authenticate tab of the configuration as well. The ~/.kde/share/config/smb4krc file was regenerated when I restarted smb4k. Hope this helps others struggling with the same problem.

I seem to remember not having to add all host and their ips to the hosts file in earlier versions of linux (fedora, mandriva, suse etc.) (not to mention the other gymnastics I had to do) but maybe I'm mistaken about that.

Comment

Working...
    X